bottling spigot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redderthebetter

Reaction score
Today I broke off about three of my hard earned dollars to support my local wine shop. I bought the plastic italian bottling spigot. Now all I have to do is drill a 1 inch hole in one of my buckets and install away.

I neglected to ask the guy behind the counter the best method of using this (On account of my having my three boys with me. That is six little hands grabbing and touching everything I tell them not to.)

I coulddirectfill wine or beer bottles, but that would splash and aerate the wine/beer.

I couldattach a shorth length of tubingthat would reach the bottom of a bottle, then direct fill using the valve?

I could attach my siphon tubing and auto bottle filler that came with my kit.

Are there any other thoughts or methods that I don't see?

Has anyone had an issue with one of these leaking when they usedthe bucket for a primary ferm?

Thanks

Go Cards!

I have two spigots installed on my primaries but theyre not the Italian
ones. As for filling bottles I would use the hose and bottle filler as
to not add air to and easier to stop flowing as when using the spigot
directly you will have to worry about the wine or beer still in the
hose overflowing the bottle. My two spigots are the swivel kind and
leak a little drop about once every two days with which I put a paper
towel soaked with meta bisulfite under to deter fruit flies. I also
stuff the spigot with a tiny pce. of that paper towel wet with k-meta
to prevent any bugs or foreign objects from getting in there and
dumping into my bottles or carboy upon racking or bottling.

Here is link to what I do with my bottling/fermenting bucket spigots...as well as replies from others with their ideas....

http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2052

[copy & paste to your browser]

Love the spigots on the buckets........

For transfering from the bucket primary to secondary carboy we use a longer peice of hose....
For filling our bottles we have a cheap-o gravity filler and a shorter peice of hose....It has a little thingy hanging down that releases wine when it is pushed up... and when the bottle is full you lift it out and have the perfect head-space.

Not one with a spring....we bought a couple spring ones and they didn't know when to quit...so went back to the gravity one.

Most people on this Fourm have a little more sophisticated bottle fillers...we are kind of low-tech up here on de-tundra.....
smiley2.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

NW, I to am happy with this cheap gravity filler. It works fine, came
with my cheap kit, and I say if it aint broken, don't fix it.

Redd:

I also use a short piece of hose and the bottle filler, this seems to work the best. jh

I mounted the spigot and went with short piece of hose to the bottle filler. Here is what I got.

FYII was bottling a Amber ale my wife got me for my birthday. I've had aversions to homebrews in the past.I hope this turns out as good as they said it would.
20061022_125559_bottling_setup.JPG

My el cheapo Bottle drying rack currently with 10 bottle capacity.
smiley2.gif

20061022_125829_bottle_dryer.jpg
http://www.williamjamestrading.com/

Redder,

I have a very similar setup, but I opted for a longer hose to use with the bottle filler. Whatever meets your needs!

We also use a longer hose....[ I like to sit down on the job]
Also I put the bottles in a pot lined with paper towels...just in-case there are any....'over-flows'

20061022_133450_20060808_125943.jpg

The pot beside me holds the full bottle that we cork while the next bottles fill.

Also...I noticed you don't have your hose very far up-onto the spigot....We heated the end of the hose with a match [ to soften it] and then forced it onto the spigot further....like at least 1/2-3/4 of an inch.....I just have a fear of it slipping off the spigot and loosing some wine...and...making a mess.....maybe it's over-kill on our part....
smiley2.gif

That's a good point about getting the hose on a little higher. I'll make sure I give that a try next time. I flushed the valve and wiped it inside and out, then stuffed it with paper towel and rubberband for storage. One thingI need to do next time is re-seat the gaskets and do a better leak check. I got a small drip while I was bottling. No major loss, but I wouldn't ferment in that bucket till I resolved that. The short length of hose allowed me to sit and raise the bottle into the filler. I had a towel on the floor for spillage.

With a longer hose you can just keep the bottle on the floor and hold
the filler, it doesnt get as heavy specially after 30 bottles.

Back