Bottling after bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CassieV

Reaction score
I was planning on bulk aging a pinot grigio for about 3 mths. I was going to add the k-meta when I'm ready to bulk age it. Since I'm only going to do it 3mths, do I need to add another 1/4tsp of k-meta before I bottle it?

Thanks for the advice. I do have another question. I bottled my 1st kit last month but I didn't bulk age it. After reading alot of the other post I'm wandering if I might end up having some sediment in the bottles. I did filter it before I bottled it. It was the village vintner cab. Should I expect some sediment in the bottles when I go to open 1? If so, should I decant it some? Does that help with sediment in a bottle? Thanks for all your help.

Cassie,

Even with filtering, it is possible to get sediment in the form of potassium bitartrate crystals (some people refer to them as Wine Diamonds or Flavor Crystals). If your bottles are stored on their side and left undisturbed, sediment will likely stick to the side of the bottle or be caught in the neck upon pouring provided the bottle isn't jostled when opening or pouring.

While there are techniques to alleviate the formation of potassium bitartrate crystals in the bottle, you should not worry about this from a quality of wine standpoint and even if some sediment gets into a glass, it will likely be only when the dregs of the bottle are poured out.

- Jim

Latest posts

Back