Bottled my first batch and did not stabilize ... After bottling and stored in basement it seems like yeast is still active ...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bottled my first batch and did not stabilize ... After bottling and stored in basement on it side it seems like yeast is still active ???... I have growths in the bottles picture below, ... Can i uncork and stabilize and re-bottle? I hope i did not just ruin this 6 gallon batch.... Is this not safe to drink until stabilized?

1594927366133.png

Can you tell us a little bit more about what you bottled, like starting sg, ending sg? Did you backsweeten? what is it? if you know the ph that's a good thing maybe. First guess is that it is just sediment or maybe some tannin falling out, but that is just a guess based on not much more than what it looks like.

Pretty much what cmason said. But, old was it when bottled? By stabilized do you possibly mean fining? It looks like it was properly settled or racked before being bottled. If the yeast were that active you'd have corks or bottles starting to pop.

Pinto Grigio Cali wine juice, SG was .996 when bottled and started at 1.008 ... PH i do not have but could get if needed.

I assume that sarting SG to be a type and should probably be 1.080. You ending SG is in the range that probably there is no sugar left for yeast to consume. I'm sticking with sediment or tannin fallout.

Certainly safe to drink, but you will want to consume sooner, rather than let it sit around for months or a year.

thanks for info yea im thinking sediment as well once up right you could not tell and it went away... If not drank quick enough will still be safe just not taste good right? I have had no issues with corks either.

It appears there is some fine sediment in the bottle from storing on its side. Other than appearance, it should not have a negative effect on the wine. I would keep it as you have it now and simply decant the wine from the bottle into a carafe before serving, being careful to leave as much sediment behind as possible.

Latest posts

Back