Bottle Soaking Support Group

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack on Rainy

Reaction score
I just shared a humorous post in the Bottle Aging Support group thread with Mary and she said we needed a "Bottle Soaking Support Group" as well. Seems soaking lables off in the project room sink can occasionally (my word not hers
smiley4.gif
)occupy that sink for several days and interfere with another import use.
Maybe there will be an intervention here....Help!

Jack, recliner, glass of wine, walmart plastic bag, glass scraper with razor blade, empty bottle of wine.

Part I
Sit in recliner
Glass of wine on end table
Plastic bag in your lap
Hold bottle over plastic bag and scrape off label
Drink wine

Part II

Purchase a big plastic long tub from Wally World
Add 2 gallons hot water
2 oz "Straight A"
Soak off glue for 10 min
Wipe off glue
Rinse bottle
Continue to drink wine

Part III (Optional)

For the stubborn glue on bottle after Part II
Spray glue with WD-40
Wipe off after 2 min
Fill your wine glass and continue to the next bottle to delabel.

I agree.....I find I have to keep taking the bottles out of the sink to do the dishes then I put them back in again. It is just one of those jobs that I procrastinate.

Ramona

I have been cleaning my bottles in the sink, soaking them for 1/2 hour in hot water with sun cleaner. bottle brushing the inside, scraping the labels that don't fall off, then using a scotchbrite soft scouring pad removing any excess labels / glue that remains. The scotchbrite (or similar) pad seems to work very well at cleaning the surface of all remaining glue and label remnants. Hard to remove labels get a longer overnight soaking in the rubbermaid bin. And remain there in the hot summer louisiana sun until I get home. Then they get the first treatment. I've had only a few out of the 60+ bottles that I have cleaned (yes I am new to this) give me such a pain that I just threw them away.

I like uav's procedure, 2 glasses of winefor 1 cleaned bottle.
This sounds like a winter project to me.

Hello JW welcome to the group, admitting it is the first step.

I soak them in the utility sink in the laundry room - let them sit with oxyclean for about 1 or 2 hours - whatever labels dont come off easily (use putty knife like for drywalling) I just pop those bottles in the recycle bin - I have about an 80% delabel rate - which is fine for me

I have to admit, I too am a bottle soaker.....I have one of those green totes that I use. Fill it with hot water and oxyclean and let them soak as long a necessary.
smiley2.gif

I also use the utility sink, a dozen bottles at a time and soak for 24 hrs, labels just jump off, no glue to scrape

Bert and I are bottle soakers. We soak them together. We can soak bottles in the storage tubs for days. Put a bunch of bottles into the tub, toss in some B-Brite, add warm water and let the soaking magic happen. (Okay, so we're lazy.)

Latest posts

Back