WineXpert Bottle shock...how long?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexmor

Reaction score
I've just bottled a batch of the Oregon Pinot Gris....it's4 months old and already tastes pretty good....in fact, it tastes so good that I'd like to take some to a family reunion in three weeks so that people who have expressed interest in my new hobby will have a chance to try some. However, I don't know how long the "bottle shock" period lasts. Are there any guidelines?

Rex: Most that I have read say about 30 days. Some say more.

I have found in transporting young wines that it to throws the flavor off. I took some wine to NY last year, about a 700 mile trip. The older wines were fine, the younger wines (bottled 60 days or so, whites and breeze type wines) had an off taste, like bottle shock. Not a bad taste, just not as smooth.

I would say, keep them in a dark cool place, undisturbed, perhaps in boxes, transport carefully and you might be fine.

Thanks.....guess I ought to go with my better jucgement and not let anyone taste it until it's at least six months old. Since I'm flying across country for the reunionI'd have to put it in cargo, which certainly wouldn't help things. Add possible bottle shock and a wine which is a "baby", and it's definitely no go.

Rex:

Racked my pinot Grig last monthfor the second time for bulk aging...............wow! this is very tasty stuff.
smiley20.gif

Like you I washoping to take some out to the cabin for Thanksgiving but, it won't be ready, maybe forChristmas. I think you are very wise not to ship in cargo. Why take a chance of spoiling what I know will be a very nice wine.
smiley4.gif

Rex, storage scenarios affect this as well. Personally I set a time line of 6 months when I bottle a wine.I don't even touch one until then. I then pop one open to assess the development. Most are fine by then but I have noticed bottle shock effect on a few even after 6 months in the bottle. I have a couple kits that are a year and a half old (both big reds that were grape pack kits) that are just getting there. I am going to leave them for at least 6 more months.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Winexpert says the bottle shock period is 2 weeks.

Rexmor,
On a side note, I just thrilled to hear that you are pleased with your Pinot Gris. I hope the others fair as well.

Thanks to all...and yes, George, I really do like the PG....the Luna Bianca? Not so much.....but it's about a month behind the PG at this point so maybe it will improve. The Sangiovese is also showing some promise, but has a ways to go [at four months] before I'd serve it to friends. Right now I'd say that I'm more confident that the whites will be what I expected than the reds, but it's probably natural that they would need more aging.

Latest posts

Back