Boo!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldone

Reaction score
Ever have an off bottling day?? Holy we bottled our kit last night and it was a disorganized mess right from step 1.. The filter leaked and acted up, the wine thief leaked in between bottle pours, drops and drops everywhere.. Oh well that'll teach me to bottle over tired.. Any hints or suggestions to help organize or simplify bottling?

What filter did you use?

I usually filter then let sit for about 3-4 weeks before bottling.

Using a vacuum pump makes bottling a lot easier.

Just hook up the Buon Vino Automatic Bottler Filler to the vacuum pump.

When I bottle it's usaully four or more batches at a time but I use the same procedure for anything smaller also. The night/day before I have all my bottles and equipment set out and ready to go. Then the morning I bottle all I have to do is sanitize everything. If it was after a day of work and I was tired I wouldn't do it. As yoiu mentioned thats when things can go wrong. Did you really fill your bottles with the thief?? I would at least get a three doller bottling wand at the minimum. Just remember we learn from our experiences and it'll get better.

Oh, we used that machine and a #1 filter. The guy at the wine shop said it was the one to use for red wines. And the #2 was for whites..

I was under the impression that we filter into a clean sanitized carbouy and then bottle out of that.. Never occurred to me to let it sit for a couple weeks longer.

Lol ya.. I used the wine wand!! My bad. Terminology also has a learning curve!!

I should add though that it was a really nice young tasting wine.

Lol ya.. I used the wine wand!! My bad. Terminology also has a learning curve!!

I should add though that it was a really nice young tasting wine.

LMAO you'll learn the rules quickly..It never happened if we don't see pictures! We love pictures!! What kind of wine was it?

Oh buddy.. It was a MESS I'll post up the aftermath of the routine in a few minutes!!

I hate to tell you this but those filters almost always leak! Its 1 reason I didnt go with that set up.

Ha!! Ok so I'm not crazy!! It seemed to always leak on me! And I had no clue and couldn't figure out just what I was doing wrong! Little bugger machine..

Oh, we used that machine and a #1 filter. The guy at the wine shop said it was the one to use for red wines. And the #2 was for whites..

I was under the impression that we filter into a clean sanitized carbouy and then bottle out of that.. Never occurred to me to let it sit for a couple weeks longer.

Did you rent the Buon Vino mini jet filter or buy it from him? Yes it is known for being a leaker and I just sold mine. Filtering your wine ahead of time like mentioned lets you do one task at a time and maybe filter 2-3 wines at the same time. Then next time do all your bottling in the same day. Trying to do both can make for long hours in the wine area. Eventually when you're ready a machine like the All in One will allow you to filter and bottle all in one step.

Ha!! Ok so I'm not crazy!! It seemed to always leak on me! And I had no clue and couldn't figure out just what I was doing wrong! Little bugger machine..
LOL LiL Bugger it is! I have a much bigger one at work that takes 17 pads at a time and they also leak somewhat. Maybe if you had it set up on a drain board next to the sink it wouldn't be quite as messy.

Oh, and no one ever said anything about you not being crazy! :)

It's actually my father in laws machine.. Didn't see the need to rent or buy if he had one.. I'll be looking to upgrade though.. don't get me wrong. Easy enough to use but.. Ergh..

Runningwolf said:
LOL LiL Bugger it is! I have a much bigger one at work that takes 17 pads at a time and they also leak somewhat. Maybe if you had it set up on a drain board next to the sink it wouldn't be quite as messy.

Heh will find out tonight.. Port bottling to start pretty quick now the Pinot Grigio is fermenting in the primary.

Latest posts

Back