Other Blush Melon Zin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loner

Reaction score
I have two fruit kits en route one of them being the blush melon Zinfandel. I'm wondering if anyone has replaced some or most of the water with watermelon juice. I just happen to have two gallons chilling right now that I intend to add to this kit. Any thoughts or suggestions !!

Well ... This may turn out to be the first batch I pour out. I did add two gallons of watermelon juice. Fermentation went well and it's now dry but tastes like it has soured. I still plan to back sweeten and give it a fair chance but at this point it's not looking good.

You probably threw off the intended acidity of the kit by adding the watermelon juice. Watermelon itself is difficult to work with for winemaking purposes, from what I understand, as the flavor can be pretty delicate. Did these kits come with an f-pack?

Yes it came with an F pack which I haven't added yet.

I've done 2 watermelon wines and they both seemed sour to me. Left them for a year in bottle then they was awesome. With no back sweetening . Had some residual sugar left.

Note
Went from 1.120 OG to 1.015 FG

Thanks for the info. I was down to 0.990 so I transferred to glass with the AIO added the F pack and chemicals and clearing agent (per instructions). The taste is better but still not what I was expecting. I think I had one taste in mind when in reality the melon zin was totally different. I think I will be ok .. May tweak the acid a bit after it settles in.

Latest posts

Back