Bluestar Owners?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny

Mildly Amused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there are at least a couple of members here that have Bluestar ranges. Just wondering what you guys have for ventilation. Brands, CFM, etc. What I currently have won't keep up and I just did a big clean of it, which wasn't easy. I need something easy to take apart and wipe down. I can already tell I'll need to do it often.

Any suggestions?

I have a Miele DA249 hood, which maxes out at 625 cfm (nominal). This is a decent hood. However, the biggest problem is the "reach" of the hood. The front burners are the highest-powered ones, but the hood does not reach over them quite enough. If I am really generating the smoke, I may put the pan on the back burner, even though the front burner is hotter.

I haven't had any REAL problems so far.

Thanks gents.

I have a 600 cfm currently and mostly it is not deep enough, but I cleaned it out well yesterday and what a pain. I had to take out screws to wipe ledges and it has foam in it to dampen sound. That's the biggest issue. If you can't clean it, it's gonna smell.

I moved the wok to the back burner and almost convinced myself it would be ok, but I bought the Capital so I wasn't limited by btu's and burner placement.

I can’t find any info on the cfm. I’ll look further later.

Looks like the Bluestar hood has 600 or 1200 cfm options. If it's easy to find out I would appreciate knowing which it is. I have 6 inch vent pipe and would have to increase up to 10" or 12" for the higher BTU. Not a real big deal, but if it is more of a depth issue, why fix what's working?

I'm running a Modern-Aire vent hood with an external Abbaka fan rated at 1400 CFM. Now, this is over a 48" Capital, so you Bluestar guys should probably look the other way.

BTW - my MA is 54" wide & 27" deep

The MA just uses baffles - just take them out and in the dishwasher they go.

Last edited:
So sounds like your heads been turned by the Modern-aire option 😊. However, regarding my Blue Star it has double fans so 1200 cfm. It is 24” deep which reaches over the burners on mine. It has easily removable baffles. I didn’t build this house, but after having this Blue Star I’m spoiled and can’t see going back to a anything less than something similar.

So sounds like your heads been turned by the Modern-aire option 😊. However, regarding my Blue Star it has double fans so 1200 cfm. It is 24” deep which reaches over the burners on mine. It has easily removable baffles. I didn’t build this house, but after having this Blue Star I’m spoiled and can’t see going back to a anything less than something similar.
I'm not set on any brand, just pulling the baffles and sticking them in the dishwasher is a must. With a quick wipe on everything else. No screws and no places where grease can get trapped.

I am trying to figure out how to get the fan in the crawl space so I can have 1200 CFM with an external motor for quieter operation. I would need to run two smaller pipes to do this. Do you have dual fans and venting or an additional booster in a single large vent?

Dual fans side by side in the hood. It is noisy when on full speed.
I expect it would be. At that point there's going to be some action anyway, and likely for a shorter burst. If 1200 cfm is loud.. OK, but the lower settings are used most. As long as it doesn't need to be yelled over on low I'll be happy.

Edit: Even happier if I can get the fan in the crawlspace and eliminate that concern.

Back