blueberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krhamm

Reaction score
I'm planning to make 3.5 gallons of blueberry wine with old orchard frozen concentrate (planning to use 3-4 cans per gallon). Only problem is that for some reason all of our grocery stores are not carrying blueberry frozen concentrate right now however i did find old orchard blueberry 100% juice sitting on the shelf. If i were to use 3.5 gallons of the juice instead of frozen concentrate for my wine, do i need to adjust the ingredients such as acid blend, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme from my original plan of using frozen concentrate? Here's my recipe that i was going to use for using frozen concentrate:

12.25 cans of frozen concentrate
24.5 pints of water
2 3/4 teaspoons of acid blend
1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon yeast nutrient
1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon petic enzyme

I would caution you on Old Orchard. Check the ingredients. Their Grape is simply awful in my mind. Make sure it has the juices you are looking for as they tend to use other juices as fillers. The other thing is that its hard to get blueberry flavor in wine - based on my experience. You need lots of blueberries and a flavor pak helps a bunch.

Well, i've started my 3.5 gallon of blueberry wine last week and last Friday night i rack it (SG at 1.022) into the secondary (3gallon carboy and 1/2 gallon glass jug). My air locks were looking good with good bubble activities on both of them. Today i've checked up on my air locks and seen that the 3 gallon is still going good (showing signs that it is slowing down some) however my 1/2 gallon jug isn't bubbling anymore and there is a ring of bubbles/foam sitting on top of the wine. Why is there bubbles/foam on top of my wine and is it possible that the wine is done fermenting already since it's only a half gallon?

Krhamm, I have 3 gallons of Blueberry clearing now. Used Old Orchid, 100% Juice, "Blueberry Pomegranate". After I bought the 3 gallons, I read the ingredents, it has 4 or 5 different fruit juices. They list them in the order of most juice and blueberry was about 3rd or 4th. I used all juice and no water.
It looks good, but I haven't tasted it yet. I think it should be good, since I didn't use any water. If interested, here is what I did.
Added 3 campden
pH=3.2
Added 1 1/2 tsp bentonite
Added 4 1/2 cups sugar to get SpGr up to 1.085
Added 3 tsp yeast nutrient
Added 1 pack of red star premier cuvee yeast
SpGr still 1.085
Added 1/4 tsp tannin
3 days later = SpGr 1.010
Racked to 2 jugs (1 gallon each) and a 1.5 litre bottle w/ air locks
The next day the SpGr was .990
Three days later , racked and added K-Meta and Sorbate and Degassed
Three days later, racked/degassed and back sweetened
Now it's clearing

I don't know, I hope it's as good as I think it will be. After thinking about it I may just have to taste it tomorrow.

Semper Fi

You might be wise to back sweeten with some more concentrate after you stabilize. I had to do that to both my fruit wines to get more flavor. I noticed that adding some tannin helped as well

I made Blu/Pom from Old Orchard. It came out pretty tasty. I wouldnt say it has a blueberry taste but it is good.

Latest posts

Back