Blueberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
Here is the beginnings of another project. The missus and I went a berry pickin yesterday. Allegedly we got 5 gallons of them delicious berries. I only had my camera phone so the pictures aren't all that great. They weighed in at 32 pounds on my handy dandy fishing scale.

We picked like mad for 2 hours. We are going to have to make another trip to get more for eating. I think we need another 2-3 gallons

blueberries.jpg

blueberryfields.jpg

rowsofblueberries.jpg

Boy those blueberries look good. I just bottled my blueberry wine this week. Made 3 gallons put th e case away and sat the 3 bottles on the table along with a glass so everyone could taste. Everyone loved it and hubby had a fit when he thought I only made 3 bottles. He was ready to go buy blueberries that night until one of the boys pointed out the new addition to the you better not touch stack. And yes it was a pain to get going never got below 1022 and had to work to get that. low. The up side is it did not need sweetening and it still has a wonderful blueberry taste and aroam. And not that it should shock you since I like oak - it sat on Med. American Oak for 2 1/2 months.
VC

Blueberry is one of my favorites. Made with steamed juice it is a delight. I had not previously considered oaking a blueberry, but I will certainly give that a go with the next batch.

So you like the oak with the blueberry, huh? I have three gallons that I just cleared and stabilized. I'm considering oaking it, but I'm kind of afraid to. The American oak spirals I used in my black currant and strawberry last year kind of had a negative effect in my opinion. Can you describe the influence of the American oak on the blueberry?

I love what oak brings to wine. Adding the oak with this blueberry, which ended up a bit sweeter then I had planned, helps hide the sweet a bit and at the same time still lets the blueberry come through. The most challenging part of adding oak for me is picking the right oak. So I am trying to figure out what I want in the wine and picking my oak carefully to match the flavor profile I want instead of just using whatever I have on hand. For example I have a Black Currant that will be racked onto some oak soon. The light oak will give it a coconut flavor which it not what I think will work with this wine, so I am leaning towards a medium or heavy toast because I want a big bold wine with lots of coffee, smokey and complex flavors. Honestly I am making this for hubby to give to his wine snob work mates because they refuse to acknowledge fruit wines as wines.
What you could do is split the wine into 3 - 1 gallon carbabies and try 3 different types of oak on each and compare the wines.
VPC

wade said:
Those look nice buddy!

Thanks all, I found another place that has them you pick for $6 a gallon. Going to head there in couple hours and try to get another 4-5 gallons. Will be busy juicing in a few weeks....

Good luck with the berries Gaudet. Man that's gotta be fun picking your own!

Thanks for the suggestion vcasey. Good idea. But I already racked the wine and popped in an American light toast white oak spiral. We'll see how that works out in a couple of months.

Good luck Ken, I'll keep my fingers crossed this one turns out well for you. The light toast will give the wine some coconut flavor.
VC

Six bucks a gallon is a great deal. I bought mine frozen last year because picking my own was going to cost 3 bucks a pound!

Great looking berries for a great deal. If it counts for anything, I have blossoms on mine now!
smiley36.gif
They won't be ready as quick as yours!

Went to the $6 place and although he had good berries, he looked like he had been picked thoroughly. It was harder to get a gallon than the other place we had been to before. He said he had already been open for 3 weeks. So after about an hour and a half, with some good daylight still going, we picked up paid the man for the 3 gallons we picked and headed to another place for $8 a gallon. In the next hour and a half the three of us were able to pick another 5 gallons of berries. I took home three for myself and they kept the other five. So we know have officially 50#'s of blueberries. Minus the 1/2 gallon we gave away. Tomorrow I will put them in the freezer for some quality time and juice them in a couple weeks.

Ken & Gina, started your blueberry recipe this morning. I used 8 quarts of the blueberry juice and had to use 6 cups of sugar to get the SG to 1.076. I am sure it will raise some after I put the blueberry bag in there.
I am going to use the cotes de blanc yeast. Unless of course I should need to use a different kind.

Something different, I added 1 Tblsp of tannin to mine.

So, we shall see.
smiley4.gif

SO...
How much does a gallon of fresh berries weigh, and how many picked gallons to a 6 gallon batch?

Well to partially answer your question Smikes, a one gallon ziplock bag filled to the point if you put one more in then it won't close will be about 6 pounds. Last year I used 16 pounds of berries and fermented on the skins for a 6 gallon batch. Although it came out ok, it was very thin and I would say lacked body. The flavor wasn't bad. I plan to steam juice my berries this year and not ferment on the skins. But when my juice yields come in I will figure pounds per quart and try to make it at least 4-6 pounds per gallon unlike last years batch.

Wade, I just racked my 3gal blueberry wine to the carboy. How long do I leave it in the carboy? I was thinking maybe 10 days, then start checking the SG for 2 days in a row to see if has stopped fermenting.

You could leave it in there for a year or more! Remember, just like any wine it should age.

wade said:
The skins would give it extra tannins and more body.

I would have to save the skins/pulp after juicing. If I don't start right away then I would need to freeze the pulp until ready to begin.

This is the first racking. I haven't degassed, added stabilizer or clarifying agent to it yet.

Latest posts

Back