Blueberry Update

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a fruit wine. I transfered from the primary about a week ago when the SG reached 1.030. The fermentation it the secondary has been very slow, but it is moving along. I used yeast 71B-1122 which after reading some earlier posts takes a long time to ferment but it really preserves the fruitiness of the wine. Well this morning the SG 1s sitting at 1.020. I am guessing it will be done fermenting mid to late next week.

I am very pleased with the amount of blueberry character has been retained with slow fermentation. Baring some mistake over the next few months this should be a very nice wine. Here is what I plan on doing next;

1) Once SG reaches 1.000 - .098 rack off sediment into clean carboy with oak chips.

Question - I plan on leaving it on oak for 2 to 3 months. Should I treat it with K-Met? If so how much for a 5 gallon batch?

Thanks

That's sounding like it will be a good one. Blueberry does take it's time. Go easy with the oak- the blueberry is tasty but subtle. Too much oak will hide some of the flavors. After racking and adding the oak, treat it with 1/4 teaspoon of k-meta. That will protect it while it ages for the few months.

Well the blueberry went into the bottle today. I got 18 total...

I think this one has good potential. If this makes any sense...It taste a little wet. It doesn't seem very concentrated. It's good and I know a few months in a bottle will change it dramatically...

I like it so well see where it goes.

Latest posts

Back