Blueberry "second wine"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazedowl

Junior
Reaction score
I've heard of using the pulp from one batch of wine to make a smaller batch of lighter wine.

I have 10.5lbs of blueberry in one bucket and 6.5lbs in another bucket both ready to be pulled out tomorrow.

About what size "second wine" could I reasonably make with the pulp from that much fermented fruit. Clearly the poundage when I pull out the fruit will be less than above.

Help? :)

That is called a second pressing I will go more into details later on tonight I do not have time at this moment

The seconds I have made, I usually throw a can per gallon of white grape juice concentrate in. Also I usually make about half of what I made the first time. Make 5 gal. the first time, about 2 1/2 the second time. Arne.

This sounds like an interesting plan, and I hope it goes well. From making blueberry before, (with a straining bag) you will have a ball of pulp the size of a grapefruit. The poundage you already have is small; in your situation, I would consider a batch that will yield only 1 gallon of wine to get the most flavor possible. Like what Arne said, it's helpful to add something to increase sugar content and flavor.

i do this to make a blueberry/apple second wine frequently. Like Arne said though i add apple juice, and then add sugar to my desired sg, then adjust acid to the level i want and add the pulp from my blueberry. i don't worry about adding yeast or anything since the pulp will carry plenty of yeast over.
i think that the blueberry/apple that we make is one of my favorite wines. i normally throw some white grape juice in there as well. i agree with the others that one gallon is all i would push it to, otherwise it will start getting thin.

Latest posts

Back