Blueberry error

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RkyMtnWine

Reaction score
Doing a 6 gallon batch from fresh blueberries. Following the Wine Expert "White Merlot" directions for this. Today will complete "Step 2", The SG is at 994. Looking over my notes I noticed at the very first step I used sparkalloid instead of bentonite
smiley24.gif
The plan today is to go do Step 3, degassing (stirring up the lees), adding K-meta, Sorbate, 3 pts of Red Grape Concentrate, and Super-Kleer. Questions: is it an issue that I used sparkalloid? Wine Expert instructions on the white merlot says to stir up the lees... should i be doing this? Any input would be appreciated.

RkyMtnWine said:
Doing a 6 gallon batch from fresh blueberries. Following the Wine Expert "White Merlot" directions for this. Today will complete "Step 2", The SG is at 994. Looking over my notes I noticed at the very first step I used sparkalloid instead of bentonite
smiley24.gif
The plan today is to go do Step 3, degassing (stirring up the lees), adding K-meta, Sorbate, 3 pts of Red Grape Concentrate, and Super-Kleer. Questions: is it an issue that I used sparkalloid? Wine Expert instructions on the white merlot says to stir up the lees... should i be doing this? Any input would be appreciated.

Only you thing you did wrong was waste the cost of the sparkalloid. Add the super clear after you add the concentrate.
3 pints of concentrate sounds like alot. Who said to add that much? Do you plan to back sweeten?

recipe I was using called for 1/2 pt of concentrate per gallon.... thinking maybe i will cut that in half. Before bottling would like to have it a medium sweet wine... will check the SG at that point.

I havn't been stirring up the lees on my freshfruit wine I always leave it behind.tepe, do you stir it?

Depends on what stage you are in.I think RkyMtn you said stage 2. If so from here on leave the "lees" behind and do not stir any more! You only need to stir fruit wines in the primary.

Thanks for the input. Wine Expert Selection kit instructions require the lees to be stirred in Step 3... got to say i am curious as to why. Was not sure if it would be of any benefit to do that with the blueberry. Did not do anything with it yesterday... still fermenting a bit., will no doubt beworking with ittoday.

I don't stir up any fruit wines....When there is a straining bag I lift if a couple times the first few days....

The yeast usually does the stirring pretty good.

I always put the WinExpert Concentrates in the primary...we do prefer dry wines. Have heard of putting it in at the end for sweetness, body, flavor and color....Remember, it is 65° Brix...or something like that....So...keep your hydrometer handy and find the scale of sweetness you like. At the end of this game you can't get the sweetness out if you put in too much.

Your fruit wine will take awhile to clear...so don't really expect it to be ready as fast as a kit.

Just my 2¢

RMW, walk us though your notes on this one (share your recipe). How did you prep the BBs?How long did you leave the straining bag in and how long has it been on the lees? what was the acid and sg?Just trying to better understand what you havegoing over there. Who knows you might be on to something.

Will certainly post the recipe...... if it passes a few taste tests. Certainly looks and smells good now.

Latest posts

Back