Bluberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankd0024

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all. This will be the 4th wine I have started. It's just about a month old and has a layer of stuff floating just under the surface. Is this normal for some fruit?
Frozen and fresh berries boiled with sugar than most of the solid strained out

20210818_152633.jpg20210818_155222.jpg

Most of that looks like debris from the fruit and containers. (Small fibers floating in one spot) A basic fine straining of the wine would be a help, even if that's just running it through a the finest strainer you can find. Once that is done, or as it is done add more pectic enzyme even if you already added some.
Blueberry wines normally clear on their own in a few months and don't reach their best flavor for at least 9 months or more.
So you have plenty of time once you add the pectic enzyme and do a fine straining of the wine.

Boiling the berries with sugar and water is the first step for making jams and jellies. If making wine, boil the water and sugar, then add the berries when the sugar/water has cooled.

P.S.: If you haven't already, add the pectic enzyme.

If all else fails, listen to @winemaker81, I haven't made blueberry wine,,,,,,yet

Last edited:
Most of that looks like debris from the fruit and containers. (Small fibers floating in one spot) A basic fine straining of the wine would be a help, even if that's just running it through a the finest strainer you can find. Once that is done, or as it is done add more pectic enzyme even if you already added some.
Blueberry wines normally clear on their own in a few months and don't reach their best flavor for at least 9 months or more.
So you have plenty of time once you add the pectic enzyme and do a fine straining of the wine.

Thank you. I had a guess it was just berry stuff but wanted to get a second opinion. I don't use any pectic enzyme or any other chemicals when I make my wine.
I'm fine with a bit of haze in it. I have a Cherry and Peach that are two months old and just about clear.

That does look like blueberry particles and pectic haze floating on the surface. I make blueberry wine every year for more then 15 years now and I have never boiled the berries.
Because you boiled the berries, you will need to add pectic enzyme.
Pectic Enzyme is not a chemical. It is a natural occurring enzyme that will get rid of that haze and help the wine to settle and clear.
You also didn't mention what your starting SG was nor what it is now, unless I missed it.
And, have you checked the ph? If so what is it?
These readings will help us to trouble shoot your problem better next time.
But I am more then sure that this problem is from boiling and not adding any pectic enzyme.

That does look like blueberry particles and pectic haze floating on the surface. I make blueberry wine every year for more then 15 years now and I have never boiled the berries.
Because you boiled the berries, you will need to add pectic enzyme.
Pectic Enzyme is not a chemical. It is a natural occurring enzyme that will get rid of that haze and help the wine to settle and clear.
You also didn't mention what your starting SG was nor what it is now, unless I missed it.
And, have you checked the ph? If so what is it?
These readings will help us to trouble shoot your problem better next time.
But I am more then sure that this problem is from boiling and not adding any pectic enzyme.

Started 7/24 sg 1.100 last time I looked sg was 1.002. Don't know the ph. yeast red star cote des blancs

Started 7/24 sg 1.100 last time I looked sg was 1.002. Don't know the ph. yeast red star cote des blancs
I would rack into a clean 1 gallon jug, treat with pectic enzyme, take another SG to see if it has finished fermenting to dry, like a .996.
Add 1 crushed campden tablet or 1/16 of a tsp of potassium metabisulfite and let it sit.

Latest posts

Back