Blending

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lefluers

Junior
Reaction score
Is it recommended to blended finished wine or blend the juice before fermentation?

From what I have read you blend after. Because you know what the finished wine tastes like and can blend based on these flavors. Blending usually is done to help offset something lacking in another wine. Just my two cents though!

From what I have read you blend after. Because you know what the finished wine tastes like and can blend based on these flavors. Blending usually is done to help offset something lacking in another wine. Just my two cents though!

Although, there are many very tasty field blends.

I believe it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Do you want to taste each individual? blend after

Do you want one whole with a unique taste year-to-year? Field blend

There are probably many other factors to consider, but those are two of them. And I am sure this is one of those ask 11 people come away with at least 12 opinions.

I have some carignan grapes I want to create some wine with. I have read that this grape is used in blending.

I have had a really nice Carignan/Cinsault blend. What do you have access to? Since Carignan grows in hot climates, most blends are with other hot-climate grapes. Of those, probably Syrah or Grenache are most readily available.

I am in central North Carolina. I got these grapes from a grocery store. I will have to get some sort of concentrate

Unless you are totally familiar with the viticulture of each grape or know the subsequent outcome, blending (grapes or juice) prior to fermentation could be an expensive/risky proposition. Blending "post fermentation" is much easier, more controllable, and less costly. Plus you can feel more like the Mad Scientist LOL!

Back