Blending reds!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

Reaction score
Hi all!!
OK, I have made a few kits and have followed the instruction to a tee... My question is this... I want to make my own blend( 65% cab, 25% merlot and 10% malbec). So, do you guys/gals that blend do you use wine from the same manufacure... Like all Mosti kits or RJ kits, or do you use one Mosti and one RJ and one Cellercraft!!!! Do yall blend then bulk age...
I will wait with baited breath...
Thanks for the help,

I have blended different wine kits (from the same and from different manufacturers) and have been quite pleased with both the experience and the results. I would caution a 'preset' blend calculation. It's much better to let your tastebuds do the work to figure out which blend is best.

Remember that assuming that blending is not being used to attempt to correct some problem in a wine, the main goal is allow for a greater complexity and marriage of aromas/flavors that would otherwise be unattainable with a single wine.

Do an experiment witha little wine from your carboy - put 1-2 ounces of Wine A in one glass, Wine B in another, and then a 50/50 blend in a third glass. Compare them all side by side after swirling them gently for a bit. Then, find the two that you like the most and split the difference again, changing the proporitions of the two wines until you are quite satisfied with the result. I think you'll find that at a certain point, one blend really stands out among the rest.

I did bulk age my blends for at least a month or more before bottling.

- Jim

I don't think the manufacturer would matter.

I would try it in a glass first, using those ratio's on a single glass... Then if you like it, do it in a larger scale. I think bulk aging it would be a good idea!!!

Darryl said:
Hi all!!
OK, I have made a few kits and have followed the instruction to a tee... My question is this... I want to make my own blend( 65% cab, 25% merlot and 10% malbec). So, do you guys/gals that blend do you use wine from the same manufacure... Like all Mosti kits or RJ kits, or do you use one Mosti and one RJ and one Cellercraft!!!! Do yall blend then bulk age...
I will wait with baited breath...
Thanks for the help,

Darryl
I personally am a big proponent of bulk aging my wines before blending for the simple reason that a young wine will have a totally different nose, mouthfeel and complexity once aged and what I blended at an early stage and liked will be totally different 6 month or longer down the road

I have to agree with Waldo. I age my wines before blending to get a true feel for what they bring tothe playing field. I sample the wines while making and get some ideas of their strong and weak points. I get to thinking what type of wine I might get if I mix some of them together. I then figure out which wine will serve the major duty. Then, what is missing or slightly weak? What wines do I have that can contribute this missing attribute and how strong is it in that wine. I then add that wine in small measured increments until it has that attribute included in it. Could it now need just a bit more oak than is in it? Yes, then put in just a bit of that slightly overoaked wine which is otherwise great. Keep going until it tastes just right, or until you pass out. If you do you may need to start all over agin the next day.

Sometimes it helps to have a couple friends help with the process.

agreeing of course w Waldo and Rich......age...age...age.... otherwise its like asking a woman who is 5'10 to dance w a man who is 5'1"

something wrong there :) it doesnt match up

HI all...
Thanks for the insight!!!! Now I have to decided which kits I want to make and blend!!!

I have placed my pre-order with George... Now I have to wait(I can't pick up more than ten lb for a couple of months)... That gives me time to make up my mind.

Thanks,

Latest posts

Back