Blending, need some opinions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dufresne11

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a terrific Cabernet Sauvignon (6 gallons) that has bulk aged for a year now. I have developed some patience with my wine making. In the past I would have bottled and drank/given away some of it by now.

However I also just started a Sirah that looks to be coming along nicely. I am considering blending 3 gallons of the Cab with 3 gallons of the Sirah at some point in the next few months. Then letting that age another year.

I would bottle the remaining 3 gallons of Cab and let the remaining 3 gallons of Sirah age another year. My question is this:

Does this sound like a decent blend? A Cab Sav/Sirah? I think it might go nicely but before I ruin anything I thought I would see what you all thought of the idea. I have never blended anything before. Anything I should watch for?

Yes, a Cab/sav and Shiraz blend is pretty popular. As a mater of fact Cellar Craft sells such a kit.

If I were you, I would do some blending trials and not just mix 50/50.

Maybe start with 75% cab and 25% Sh.
Taste it
move to 50/50
then to 25/75 and so on.
Do smaller increments if you like.

When you find one you like, seal it in a full bottle and let it set for about 3 days to a week. Taste it again

Some folks actually have what I would call a blend party.

Host will bottle several combinations; let each guest blind taste each and score them on a personal score card. Each turns in his/her private score card; you eval them.

From your avitar, you two look like you would enjoy the party idea. I would!

Great Idea Robie, I will let the Sirah fall bright and give it a go... should be a fun summer project.

Bench trial is the way to go for sure. Pick your favorite or bottle some ratio of your favorite blends.

I like bench trials

Yes, bench trials are another good reason for wine tasting!

I like it!!!

Sorry, just got home from work and am sipping some nice red wine.

Congratulations for displaying the self discipline for letting your wine age as long as you have.

Happy fermenting,
Paul

Latest posts

Back