Blending Concentrates and Fresh Fruits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckwineo

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried blending a concentrate with blueberries or muscadines for a unique flavored wine? This may only make sense in south mississippi but, I have some left over blueberries and my muscadines are ready for harvest. Kinda wanted to try something different this year. This may be the dumbest question ever asked on this form but i had to ask anyway
smiley9.gif

I think there was an article about this in wine maker magazine...

I don't think its a dumb idea at all!!!

I will look for the article and may be able to suggest some amounts and combinations.... unless someone else has done it, and can post a reply.

Yes, there was an article in Winemaker and they gave suggested amounts of fruit and other information about this as well... was that one issue or two issues ago...

yes, I do it all the time. I just started an orange pineapple wine Saturday. I used about 30 oranges with 12 cans of pineapple cocentrate (6 gal)

I also make a strawberry kiwi -16 pounds of strawberry with 10 cans of kiwi cocentrate (6 gal)

thanks for the ideas. I got a wild hair and put some stuff together last night. I'm attempting a 2.5-gallon batch with the following...
<UL>
<LI>9lbs of local blueberries</LI>
<LI>1 cup of my fresh muscadines (just for the heck of it)</LI>
<LI>2 bananas</LI>
<LI>4 cans of grape concentrate</LI>
<LI>3 lbs of sugar</LI>
<LI>2 tsp of acid blend</LI>
<LI>1 tsp of pectic enzyme</LI>
<LI>1 tbsp of nutrient</LI>
<LI>3 campten tabs</LI>[/list]

My SG is 1.086 and I plan to pitch the yeast tonight. It sure looks good.

There is asmall winery north of Baton Rouge (cannot remember the name right now) that markets a blend of muscadine and blueberry called "Jambalaya". I bought a bottle for tasting a few months ago, found it quite flavorful but too sweet for me; however,I'm planning on blending some of my own '10 Blueberry (bulk aging now) with'10 Muscadine already bottled and in the cellar.

Latest posts

Back