Blending/adjusting after bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Main man

Reaction score
I'm thinking about blending some kit wines that I have made and already bottled. I want to blend flavors but also adjust PH and add some sugar (and add potassium sorbate). Is it a bad idea to un-bottle, blend/adjust then re-bottle? I'm looking at it as an experiment as much as anything but I'm wondering if I could get so much air exposure - or something else - that I might ruin everything. The kit wine I'm working with is at a year old and the PH has reduced along the way down to the 3.3/3.4 levels. Any thoughts and guidance would be appreciated.

Unbottling introduces the danger of contamination and eventually oxidation, but you can minimize this. Make sure all equipment is clean and sanitized, and when you unbottle, minimize splashing. Add 1/4 tsp K-meta per 5 gallons immediately after unbottling. SO2 protects the wine by binding with O2 and other contaminants, so adding it immediately reduces the likelihood of a bad result.

I go a bit heavy on SO2, so I'd add more K-meta with the sorbate when re-botting.

When blending to correct defects, keep in mind that most of the time, the resulting wine will be the same quality as the lesser wine, e.g., you get a larger quantity of the quality of the lesser wine. I'm not saying this to scare you off, but it is something to keep in mind.

Thanks Bryan. My goal is to blend for flavor, adjust ph and add a hint of sweetness. I still have a lot to learn with so many things in the wine making world! Your guidance and input is very helpful Thanks!

Back