Bladder press for icewine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VignoblesLSJ

Junior
Reaction score
I found a bladder press, german made, and I wonder if I can use it to press icewine. It must be pressed outside in the cold, so I can't really use water in the bladder. I worry that it will not yield as much juice as it could have with a traditionnal piston press. Anyone can tell me if its a good buy or should I really get a traditionnal press for icewine? Thanks!

Is the press so big it has to remain outside continuously?

If you can get the pressing down before the water in the press' water lines freeze, you won't have a problem. It would take a long time for the water in the bladder to be affected by the cold.

I don't know how else to respond. I have no idea how long you need to leave the press out doors or at what temperatures. If the temperature is minus 40F, you might have a problem.

I found a bladder press, german made, and I wonder if I can use it to press icewine. It must be pressed outside in the cold, so I can't really use water in the bladder. I worry that it will not yield as much juice as it could have with a traditionnal piston press. Anyone can tell me if its a good buy or should I really get a traditionnal press for icewine? Thanks!

Absolutely not! First off if you're worried about water you can always use air if you have a compressor. Grapes used to make ice wine have to be pressed when they are about 18*. You need to understand they are as hard as marbles. You will need an electric/hydrilic press that will exert about 320 PSI. Typically on a bladder you're pressing grapes at about 30psi.

It's still a nice find on the bladder press and I know a lot of folks would die to have it for the fall harvest.

well, icewine is pressed outside at minus seven-minus eight. I could pump windshield washer liquid in the bladder instead of water, perhaps it would not damage it? you can see th press here

http://www.lespac.com/vehicules/equ...a-pommes-raisin-LPaZZ24859010WWcpZZ28WWgrZZ12

what do you think of the price? I find it a little expensive, personally.. I could buy it, but I havent found what the brand new ones cost.

The press is brought outside for the time of pressing. To give an idea, it will be used to press the harvest for about 2600 vines.

Thanks for your help!

well, icewine is pressed outside at minus seven-minus eight. I am not sure what your saying here or what the conversion is but Ice wine is pressed at around 18*f. Not knowing how many grapes you press are where you are in the hobby it's hard to tell if this is the right purchase for you to make. If you are pressing a ton or more I would say go for it. You could also do a goggle search to see what they sell for new. You may be stealing it for that price. But once again, it will not work for ice wine.

on the icewine wikipedia page they mention that the blader press was a grrat technological advancement for icewine

Latest posts

Back