blackberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el wino

Reaction score
This my second attempt on making blackberry wine..the first was in feb.It came out too thin for me.I use theoregon friut 46oz.canned juice.I followed the reciepe of 2-gallons with this can..
Now this time I am using 2 oregon friut cans (46oz)to make 2-gallons.They are the puree friut.I started them 3days ago and they are fermenting nicely.
the other pics are from other batches I started in feb.& bottled.

cabernet/sauvignon.....wine expert
20070817_221931_Briana_007.jpg
20070817_222053_Briana_013.jpg
20070817_222151_Briana_011.jpg
20070817_222239_Briana_010.jpg

blueberry...........frozen berries&juice

french merlot..............wine expert

australian shiraz..........vinters reserve

Mighty fine looking wines elwino. Are you going to oak your blackberry?

You know Waldo..that wasn't a consideration...but now that you mentioned it...Is it o.k to oak..I have some heavy american toast chips.
I thought that oaking friut wines was not well accepted...But what other
friut would you consider to oak or have oak in the past with good results..Are clearfriuts o.k or only the darker friuts........

Nice labels too.

I have oaked Blackberry, Chokecherry, Strawberry, Raspberry, etc....have used American Oak and have freshly toasted it in a dry pan on high heat....I think it adds a nice touch to the fruit wines, also have added WinExpert Red Grape concentrate to those wines...they have all turned out to our liking.

great...i will oak it..thanks northern winos....I'll add to it now while its fermentaing.........

Who said oaking was not well accepted? There is no such thing! Its your wine, you do what you want when you want! There are a few fruits that might not taste good with oak added maybe such as Pear but Blackberry would definitely NOT be in that category!

out of curiosity, what yeast are you using for the blackberry? What was you starting SG? I'm trying to fine tune my recipes so I was curious to see what others are doing.

-Nico

Well i read somewhere in my reading of wine making,not sure where but I am still new to this art.......I already added my oak to it....excited to see how it turns out....Nasv I started with a S.G of 1085...and used what yeast i had on hand which was Lalvin RC-212......

nice looking wine there. I picked some blackberries this summer, and will probably start a batch here real soon.... Nice labels....

Ive heard that Lalvin 71B is the best yeast for Blackberries as its a low abv yeast and eats more of the malic acid that is prevalent in blackberries.

el wino said:
You know Waldo..that wasn't a consideration...but now that you mentioned it...Is it o.k to oak..I have some heavy american toast chips.
I thought that oaking friut wines was not well accepted...But what other
friut would you consider to oak or have oak in the past with good results..Are clearfriuts o.k or only the darker friuts........

Blackberry and Muscadine are both well receptive of oak. I use a French Medium on mine

thank you all for the info...kutya I am still trying to improve on the labels.thanks.wade I will order some of that yeast you mentioned.
Waldo Muscadine wine will be one of my next friut wines to make.

Latest posts

Back