Blackberry score from the local market.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UBB

Reaction score
I ended up with approx 23 lbs of Blackberries. A little light on the lbs/gal ration for a 5 gallon batch.

Aside from buying more fruit, any suggestions to help lessen the probability of a 'thin' wine?

Also, to oak or not to oak Blackberry?

get some more blackberries and make an f-pac, this will bring the flavor up to where you want it. F-pac's are added when it is time to backsweeten and in my opinion what is a blackberry wine if it is not oaked! In case you don't know, I think the only way to make blackberry is to oak it. :db

I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight Julie if I didn't go back and get more at that price. Out here, fresh blackberries are hard to come by. I now have enough for a 6 gallon batch!:dg

What kind and how much oak do you recommend?

I oaked my only batch of blackberry. I would think its a matter of personal preference, but we'll wait for the pro's to chime in.

I seen in the recipe section Tom recommends Lalvin 71b 1122 yeast. If one wanted to uses a Red Star yeast (becuz that's all he has) what would be the choice??

71B is recommended many times for blackberry due to their malic acid content. But Cotes de blanc is quite good too...I agree wholeheartedly. And oaking won't happen until the end of fermentation. I personally like a medium toast, combination of American and French Oak in my blackberry.

Latest posts

Back