Blackberry Port Fermentation Re-start

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper

Reaction score
I stopped the fermentation at 18 %, add Pota and a bit of Brandy 500 mL and degas (SG 1.018). That was 2 weeks ago. This morning the SG was at 1.013 so it obviously it re-ferments. Is it going to hurt the wine if I re-add sugar, Pota and degas it again? I want the final SG to be at 1.020, now the alcohol is at 19 %.

Casper: Just let it finish out the way it is. It may gain .5 to 1 % more in ABV if it is still fermenting, but that won't be noticeable in taste at all. My advice, and what I do, is to just let it sit for 4 to 6 weeks and let it fizzle out. Then I stabilize and clear, which could take another 4 to 6 weeks, sweeten back and fortify, and let it sit again for a few weeks before bottling.

Thanks for the fast reply, I wil let it stand for 4 weeks.
smiley1.gif

Keep an eye on the SG about once a week to see where it's headed. When it doesn't go down any more, you'll know it's done. I would guess it's going to take at least 4 weeks. Be patient, you'll be rewarded greatly.

I would also suggest bottling this in 375ML bottles and stashing about half of them away for a few years (so you may need a little more sulphites at bottling). Ports are best at 8 to 12 years of age. I would be happy if mine makes it to 3.......... months......

Edited by: jobe05

jobe05 said:
Ports are best at 8 to 12 years of age. I would be happy if mine makes it to 3.......... months......

I though fruit wine only get there peek between 2 to 3 years. I know that port, as higher alcohol but, is it enough to make it last for 8 year. If so I better make a bigger batch next year.
smiley3.gif

Latest posts

Back