Blackberry Orchard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobp

Reaction score
I may be nuts or so i have been accused.. but with the economy being what it is...and there not being any real hope that we will have a goverment in place this next year from either side that will change things much, to increase the country's cash flow.. and the fact that we exist mainly on my construction based income.. I have decided to put my land to work..
we have 40 Acres near Fayetteville Ar.. i am putting in 2000 blackberry plants in march... was aslo going to do raspberrys but have not been able to find the root cuttings of the variety i want.. Novas.. they grow well here and produce large reliable crops.. the black berries are Ouchitas 500#, and 1500# Natchez... there are already 2 other growers in the state 2-3 hours away, and they are producing a july crop.. the natchez should come off in June with the Ouchitas shortly after.. i should be selling out before they come to market.. I hope.. and there are very few raspberrys anywhere down south..
I intend to add 1500 primocane fruiting blackberries next spring if i can..maybe sooner.. water will be my issue for them.. we'll see.

I am ammending my soil with large amounts of commercially prepared compost, turned by the thermometer rule, screened ect.. from a muncipality locally, and applying 4 inches of poultry litter that has been piled 6 moths.. it's not getting warm anylonger... and the N should tie up with the compost nicely, preventing early nitrogen issues, and then releasing it back out a year or so later.. the point is in increasing the hunas content... which is a huge chore.. 20 rows with plant spacing at 2' and row spacing at 12'...
Soil tests results are forthcoming...
I am putting down a 20% Humic acid solution to aid in the humas breakdown and release of the bound nutriens.. Has anyone ever used it??

I will be freezing the left over fruit so maybe next year i can provide some to you guys??

Is this going to be a u-pickum operation or will you be picking them yourself? 20 rows would keep some one very busy. There is a u-pickum operation in Laf., La. that has 3-20' rows, a small operation but the guy makes enough to pay his elec. bill for the year.

We will not be picking this year..we will however next year... this year they will set primocanes , which will be the fruiting floracanes for next year.. this year they will simply grow out on the ground and do their thing, then next sprig they'll send upright floricanes and flower and set fruit on last years canes..

I do intend upon however at some point adding 1000 primocane fruiting variety's.. there are 3-4 coming out of the University of Arkansas.. which by the way is responsible for 99% of the tame black berries out there now.. they have been breeding them for nearly 35 years.. the primocane variety's will fruit on primocanes in the late summer and fall.. giveing another nich market crop..
Double A won't do root cuttings plants only..
we will not be trying the u pick um..for the bulk of the crop.. it's a little more than we want to mess with..we will be selling to a local grocery warehouse, which supplys about 100 stores.. they will take them all and their $$$ is good..

we may u pick the tail end of the crop, that 5th or 6th week when the heats getting bad and the plants slow down..which i was thinkong of freezing

sounds like you have really put a ton of thought into this. Good luck, I hope this works out as you plan. would definitely be interested in fruit in the future once you get the operation running. Again good luck and keep us updated on how this all works out!

A ton of thought .. and then some..with alot of worry.. and wondering what i am forgetting.. The U of A has alot of info... but they don't seem to answer direct questions very well.. My wife will be incharge of the picking and getting them to the truck for shipping into the warehouse.. The warehouse will let us meet their delivery truck close to home.. they are at the local store 4 times a week..i'll do the big stuff, and tractor work.. If we can make enough to cover our land payment for the year. i'l be happy.. more will be extra income.. and who can't use that..

yes..actually grapes of all kinds.. the market is tricky.. there are several..BIG vinyards around here.. most have switched to wine and table variety's since the welches juice plant closed and pulled out...blueberries are big here too...so i probably won't do them unless it's aybe 20-30 plans for our use and sharing...and i am going to do raspberries..we already have 40 wineberries in the ground and if they do well i'll transplant more, and tip this year.. they would do well for pyo due to being so fragile and having a short shelf life..but man are they good.

the whole pyo thing will be trial and error..but i feel on a large scale it will be unlikely.. we are 28 miles from the interstate.. 20 miles from fayetteville... she will not want to babysit random visitors..i will still have to work full time... i was thinking of an "honor box" system put up a sign wwith prices, leave a few contaners..and let the u pick run itself kindof..leave the gate open after the bulk of the picking is done..this is also where i was thinking of freezing berries... once the tail end of the ripining comes we can pick to 1/2 gallon vaccume bags and freeze them.. we'll see how it goes..

Years ago, I grew blackberries in Springdale, just next door to you. It was on a very small scale in my back yard, though.

They did great! I planted one year and was buried with blackberries the very next year. The ones I grew were not very sweet. With a little added sugar, they made fantastic cobblers and jams. They had a really nice flavor.. and no thorns!!

Since wild blackberries grow like crazy anywhere around your area (NW Arkansas), yours should do fine.

I had to net mine, because the bluejays, cardinals, and nasty starlings would have eaten everything I grew. I hope you are planning on netting, too.

(Blackberry wine can be very popular, too.)

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back