blackberry odor question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did a little sweetening last night and put it in the closet. it's still VERY tart. would mlf help balance this? it has a good blackberry taste, so i don't want to mess that up, but the tartness puts hubby off, and this is one of the only wines i've made that he's liking, except what he's calling "aftertaste", but i think i'm calling tart.

How old is this wine? The best thing you can do is get it bottled (after a few weeks have paased after sweetening) and forget about for a year. It will change dramatically.

If you can't wait a year, substitute a few 375s for the standard size bottles. Use these to sample every few months.

My Blackberry Port was VERY tart. As Bob said.... Time has helped min e tremendously. Have you checked the acidity? (this may have been asked earlier on the thread, I am coming in late)

it was lavlin 1122 (mostly, long story there, too, lol, with a little 1116 to make a full pack, lol)
the wine is new, brand new.
i like the 375 ml bottles idea...to check it along the way.
thank goodness for skeeter pee...it helps you put the rest of the wine away to the wine closet:ib

lalvin 1116 will easily take over production of alcohol from other yeast. it's known as the "killer yeast."

also, the finish is the hardest part of winemaking. the begining flavor can be manipulated (blending, aging or sweetening), but a good finish is the most difficult part to fix. aging will help as stated. we had an issue with an acid tester for about 3-4 batches. almosted poured them out, but luckily we didn't as 3 years later they are actually pretty good. funny how that happens.

lalvin 1116 will easily take over production of alcohol from other yeast. it's known as the "killer yeast."

also, the finish is the hardest part of winemaking. the begining flavor can be manipulated (blending, aging or sweetening), but a good finish is the most difficult part to fix. aging will help as stated. we had an issue with an acid tester for about 3-4 batches. almosted poured them out, but luckily we didn't as 3 years later they are actually pretty good. funny how that happens.
i bought an acid test kit for the chardonnel. i will def. use with future batches of fruits as well.

Yeah i use my hydrometer, my acid test kit, and ph tester all the time - IMO these tools are a must have - unless you are good enough to adjust by taste.

Back