Black raspberries?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewgrrrl

Reaction score
Other than people lucky enough to have black raspberries growing near them, has anyone found a good source of black raspberries? Concentrate, frozen, puree - anything would be helpful. I'm trying to do a fruit-loaded melomel recipe and I don't have the black raspberries for it. I thought about substituting blackberries and maybe upping the amount of red raspberries in the recipe, but if possible I'd like to have the real deal.

Thanks!

Well, the lack of responses here so far does not bode well.
smiley24.gif

I did find a place in Oregon that supplies food-businesses and they would ship their purees/concentrates to individuals. Unfortunately, their products have to be kept frozen and the cost of shipping to an individual would be prohibitive.

I'm really surprised that there isn't a source for home wine-makers. Anyone??????

No help here. Raspberries generally don't grow well south of the Mason-Dixon line, and realy don't grow at all in Texas. I can't think of a single place I've seen where "black raspberries" were sold on their own. The only times I have seen the phrase "black raspberry" was as a candy flavor - is the flavor significantly different from red raspberry?

I guess you'll have to decide to spen the dough for the real deal or "fudge the recipe" to use what's available, as a good experimenter would.
Bart

I do have a friend in Ohio who has black raspberries growing wild all over her property, but the 3+ hour drive prevented me from getting down there this year. Last year I picked enough for an AMAZING one gallon batch of wine - it was sooooooo good. I'm just so surprised that puree isn't available commercially. I would think there would be a huge market for it.

I'm comfortable experimenting, but knowing how great the real deal is... I'm not quite giving up on finding some somewhere still.

A friend of mine has also informed me that Trader Joe's sometimes has frozen black raspberries as well as black raspberry juice and concentrate. Ah, life is good...

Back