BLACK CURRANTS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
A friend stopped by and gave me a potted Consort Currant plant for the wine effort....It's a bit root bound...but think it will make it.

ConsortSmall.jpg

Now I am really anxious for my bare root plants to show up....One thing I don't like about Jung's...they are always a little late getting stuff to this zone.....St. Lawrence always has my stuff here by now....

I hate waiting....
smiley1.gif

Now that plant has been growing for a while. It looks like you could divide it in two and still have 2 well established plants.

I got my 15 planted last week from St. Lawrence. I planted them at the end 2 sections of a row of grapes. There are 10 Consort and 5 Titania.

For the heck of it, I planted5 Elderberries on the ends of 5 rows. I hope they don't get too big there. I could dig up dozens of them from near the other bushes, but I don't need that many.

Looking at it closer it is very root bound...wouldn't have been my choice to purchase...I like bareroot plants.

When it comes time to set it out in the garden I will try to divide it...hope I don't kill it working the roots out of that ball...Appleman....I will try to divide it...it's not a happy plant.

Looks great that will take off soon as you get that into the ground.....
smiley17.gif

I hope it does grow...it is so root bound...just for fun I took a few cuttings, but it is old wood and not sure if it will work...

Planted him out today in thenew future 'Wine Garden' ....

plantedSmall.jpg

It was so root bound that I didn't divide it...just broke the roots apart and hope it makes it.....had flower buds on it....

Nice dark rich looking soil there NW. It should be happy to be in the ground now. Are those a few more currants behind it? I even see a few blossoms in the background . It must be spring there now.
smiley4.gif

The other bushes with blooms there are more Nanking Cherries, they all camein a wildlife packet of bushes we got from the county when we moved here.

Next row behind are3 volunteer Sand Cherry plants that came up in the garden....the Sand Cherries are also scattered around here from the wildlife Packet...the reseed easy ....I have been using them in wine mixed with Chokecherries...I might try to get a few more plants and someday make just Sand Cherry Wine...they are sweeter than the Chokecherries.

I am going to pick up more Nanking Cherries too...not all the bushes produce cherries....I think 3 or 4 of our 6 bushes produce....don't know if they are male and female or what the story is on them.

Appleman...the soil is kind of dark, especially when it is first worked up...it is clay and sand...so mix water and it turns to brick...if we work it up when it's wet we fight hard clods all summer....

I called Jungs yesterday for the status of my order, it was getting packed....sure is late...[but they always are] they didn't show any back-orders....so should have 3 more Currants, Gooseberries, Josta Berries, an Aronia bush and more Elderberries.....so far my Elderberries are in another area of the yard...and have read they may contribute diseases to tomatoes....so will plant them in another wildlife area.

Spring has sprung.....so...now if we get the 3-4 days of thunderstorms all the vegetable seeds, potato sets and onion seeds and sets I planted yesterday will come up....Life is good!!!!Edited by: Northern Winos

Latest posts

Back