Black Currants - Zone 7

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
Any suggestions on which plants to select for Zone 7? A reliable source of quality plants? How many plants needed to make approximately 5-6 gallons wine each year and allow the critters to have their fair share?

Your feedback will be appreciated.

Most Black Currants should do well for you in zone 7. Prince Consort and Titania are my favorite varieties. They get large and bear profusely. It takes about 2 pounds for a gallon and a plant will easily produce that many after a few years. If you get a half dozen bushes, you should get plenty- probably more than enough. St. Lawrence Nurseries carries both varieties. Lots of other sources for currants also.

http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/currants.html

Titinias are nice. We planted too many, if you want some come over to our farm and pick some:) You might also consider planting the red currants also or instead of the black ones. YOu can get the black currant juice for making wine but you cant get the red currant juice and it makes a nice wine also. Crackedcork

Thanks, Cracker Cork for the suggestion. As I make my selections this fall I will see if anyone offers a good enough deal for me to do both.

Back