Black Cherry rocket fuel (epic fail)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
So I tried to use the welches super sugary method for my black cherry
I wanted a sweet cherry, but I am on my way towards rocket fuel!

ingredients
1 gallon organic Black cherry juice
11.5 oz of welches concentrate (needed for volume)
11.5 oz water (needed for volume)
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
3/4 tsp peptic
1/2 yeast energizer
Rc 212

Starting SG 1.150 on 7/26
SG 1.030 on 8/1

Now my assumption was that Lalvin RC 212 kind of petered out before it got to dry.

I just transferred to secondary, and it is looking like it is slowing down.

How long will the RC-212 keep cooking?
And should I stop the fermenting before it gets to dry?

RC-212 has an alcohol tolerance of 12-14%. I think you've already exceeded that, so the yeast may be dying off.

Like Boatboy says, the yeast is dying off. but why would you allow the yeast to call the shots on how sweet of a wine you have? You know have a high alcohol and overly sweet wine.

I agree, the 212 should be at threshold about now. It looks like you are currently around 15.8%, so the yeast should be dying from ETOH toxicity about now.

Why do you say this is an epic fail? It has ran its course and is getting close to aging for awhile and then bottling. I have made this recipe (with the grape) and it turned out 14.5% ABV. After bottling and sitting for a few months, those that like a sweeter wine love it.

Not sure how it can still be cooking when you have exceeded the AT for 212.

Just continue on and I think all will be well.

But can I ask why you didn't use standard fermentation techniques and then backsweeten to get where you wanted it? Not good to kill the yeast because now you don't have it in the secondary where it firms up the flavor.

But can I ask why you didn't use standard fermentation techniques and then backsweeten to get where you wanted it? Not good to kill the yeast because now you don't have it in the secondary where it firms up the flavor.

I had some yeast sitting around and wanted to try something different.
Although I think my wine is going to be way to sweet,
But I may just top off with water to dilute sugar and ABV!

I think diluting down with water makes sense if you think it's too hot and too sweet. Just mind your acid balance and I think you will be fine.

As others have said, give it some time and see where it comes out. You can recover this!

Elmer, I applaud you for your willingness to experiment. As the originator of the Welch's Super Sugar method, I agree with wineforfun and have two words for you: AGE IT.

wineforfun is also correct that this recipe when used with concentrate results in a wine people love. It is by far the most popular and accessible wine I make. People rave about it. (I simply tell them it is concord wine.)

I've never used the technique with cherries because I am no fan of cherry wine, any way it is done. Black cherry juice is the worst to use, in my opinion, and I have used it (never again - what you want is sour cherry or tart cherry). But it is not a fail. In 6 months it will be a different wine. Adding water, etc., may be just impatience showing. In fact, the wine may taste too sweet because you do not have enough juice in your mixture. Also look at acidity, which probably is low with black cherry. Bench-test it with added lemon juice or acid blend.

It is supposed to finish as a sweet wine of between 12-14% alcohol. So yours is on target. Mine always finishes just slightly north of 12%, probably because I ferment under cooler conditions than you did. I can't get 212 to go farther than that in my conditions. But yes, it is sweet. That is why SSG is high.

I disagree with Turock's comments. Of course, the two of us make wine totally differently, so that's to be expected.

This recipe is basically the same wine recipe used for hundreds of years to make a sweet wine from grapes. I posted it because I wanted to encourage people to experiment and let go of their considerable fears around fermentation. I have a theory that those fears arise out of kit instructions becoming gospel for all home winemaking.

It is not - I repeat NOT - necessary to ferment wines to dry each and every time, if a dry wine is not the end goal. Eastern commercial wineries use this technique a lot, in which the yeast dies of alcohol poisoning. I would say that, using concentrates, this results in a better tasting sweet wine than fermenting to dry and adding sugar.

I'm always pretty amazed to see the degree of fear that even experienced home winemakers have surrounding the fermentation process, which then leads to a regimented approach. I say, let go of some of that fear! There's fun on the other side.

Last edited:
I have learned a lesson!
Last night I took my cherry, convinced I would not drink it.
I was going to bottle 1 bottle and dump the rest.
Then I tasted it!!!
And 3 months later and it is a different wine.

It is still sweet and high alcohol, but in small amounts it is a treat (if you like cherries, like I do!)

I am going to rack and bottle up what is remaining and pass it off as a poorly made dessert wine!

I guess served along side some nice cold vanilla ice cream it could go well!

Good job on waiting and not dumping it.

Another thing to try is add a little 7-Up, Sprite, etc. as a spritzer and see how you like it.
My wife does that once in awhile with jswordy's welch's super sugar concord.

I'm glad you didn't dump it! Never dump. If all else fails after aging you can blend it into another wine for a variation. Like blending a few bottles into a batch of dry white for a "cherry blush" version. Always possibilities!

Back