Black Cherry Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas1101

Junior
Reaction score
Just bottled my first. Alcohol contact does not seem very strong. Did I do something wrong? Taste OK. Followed directions except due to illness did not bottle till a week after I was schedule. Wine was clear and tasted fine. Just alcohol level down.
Kit was a Spagnols Breezin

Sounds like you did everything just fine. Those kits have a very low alcohol level so they are quick drinkers for the impatient as well as nice light summer coolers.

Welcome to the forum.

Texas,

If you kept a record of the initial SG and the final SG, subtract the final from the initial and multiply the difference by 131. This will give you a good estimate of the alcohol content. For example, given an initial SG of 1.080 and a final SG of .997, the difference would be .083 and multiplying that by 131 gives you 10.873 indicating an ABV of approximately 10.9%.

In the case of the Breezin' kits, use the sg prior to adding the flavouring/sweetening pack as your final sg.

Steve

I made this kit and bottled it two days ago. (Didn't actually bottle, but bagged it, instead. My summer wines I put in the bags, which go with the wine-on-tap dispensers that George sales.) Before fermenting, I added enough sugar to bump the alcohol ABV to about 12%. I like it that way.

It is very strong of blackcherry; way too easy to drink!!!
smiley34.gif
It really is a nice summer wine and I'm sure it will go over well at the various parties and summer functions I attend. It will be long-gone by the end of September I'm sure.

I also bagged an RJS peach chardonnay the same day. ABV also about 12%. Great summer wine.

DancerMan, I agree with you and like wines in the 12-12.5% ABV range. Too much above that is a seditive and too much below that is Cool Aid.

Rocky said:
DancerMan, I agree with you and like wines in the 12-12.5% ABV range. Too much above that is a seditive and too much below that is Cool Aid.

I just have to remember to warn everyone that is really is not just a nice sweet soft drink. As I mentioned, it really goes down easy...

Rocky,
You make it sound like Kool-Aid isn't delicious!
smiley4.gif

I just bottled a Banana Pineapple Viognier to which I had added about 1 lb of sugar at the start. ABV I calculated to be about 10.1%, and tastes really nice and sweet, but it could have gone a little higher and still been good. Without the sugar, I estimate it would have been about 7.5-8% ABV.

BartReeder said:
Rocky,
smiley4.gif

I just bottled a Banana Pineapple Viognier to which I had added about 1 lb of sugar at the start. ABV I calculated to be about 10.1%, and tastes really nice and sweet, but it could have gone a little higher and still been good. Without the sugar, I estimate it would have been about 7.5-8% ABV.

I did the Banana/Pineapple V. last year. I added enough sugar to take the ABV to about 12 %, if I remember right. It handled the alcohol quite well. It didn't last long.

Last year I also did a Sangria with Seville oranges. Same ABV as the B/P V.. I made another one for this summer.

Last night my wife and I played cards with some friends and drank the black cherry pinot noir. It is really a nice treat when poured over a full glass of ice. I just think the summer wines taste much cleaner when poured over lots of ice.

BartReeder said:
Rocky,
smiley4.gif

What no coconut rum????? The BPV is going to be made again soon. I have all the supplies, just need the time and an empty carboy.

I don't know, I guess I just like a stronger drink. Same thing with the liquor that I drink. I like both bourbon and rye whiskey, at least 100 proof. Probably started in the Army where we used to "requisition" the grain alcohol from themedical units and mix it with pineapple, orange or applejuice. You could not drink that stuff (180-190 proof) straight.

Latest posts

Back