bile-like taste in very new plum wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slh

Junior
Reaction score
I just racked my cherry plum wine into the secondary fermenter. We decided to take a taste and, ick, it's got a bile-like after taste. I'm assuming it's because it's so young. Smells fine. Anybody out there experienced this?:s

Did you take the stones out of the fruits? They can leave a bad taste in the wine. I have found it will pretty well go away, but it takes a lot of time. Arne.

I just racked my cherry plum wine into the secondary fermenter. We decided to take a taste and, ick, it's got a bile-like after taste. I'm assuming it's because it's so young. Smells fine. Anybody out there experienced this?:s

Wish I could help but I never have tasted bile before so I don't have any sense of comparison.

I made a mustang wine that had what I called a bile/ throw up taste. I think it was because I picked too early making it way too acidic. I dumped it after a year. It was nasty. I'm no expert though.

Wish I could help but I never have tasted bile before so I don't have any sense of comparison.
Bile, a.k.a, vomit. Gross. You're pretty lucky if you've never tossed up the contents of your stomach. Haha!

I made a mustang wine that had what I called a bile/ throw up taste. I think it was because I picked too early making it way too acidic. I dumped it after a year. It was nasty. I'm no expert though.
Hmmmm. The plums were ripe but the skins were very tart. Could be an issue. I guess time will tell.

Did you take the stones out of the fruits? They can leave a bad taste in the wine. I have found it will pretty well go away, but it takes a lot of time. Arne.
Yes, I froze the whole fruit, mashed in into a pulp and strained it out so the fermentation was done just on the pulp, no skins or pits.

Latest posts

Back