Big Beefy Cab

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
I am looking for a Big, Beefy, "In your Face" Cab Sav kit. Any suggestions from anyone??
smiley17.gif

RJS Cellar Classic Winery Series Cab Sauv. Has all that and more. Needs 2 years though.

I have not made it yet but have been told the Cellar Craft Showcase Collection Red Mountain cab is definitely "in your face" style.

I have the Red Mountain Cab coming up on its first anniversary. Tasting notes at 6 months bottling time was fantastic, young but fantastic. I am looking for one myself to start this Summer as well to work into the pipeline for years 2 and 3 so interested in the possibility of the RJS line (EP) perhaps or even the Winery series that Dean has just recommended.

I second the RJS Winery series but have heard good things about the Cellar classic also and the Mosti Meglioli.

yeah, the Red Mountain Cab is another one to go for too! I traded a bottle of my Winery Series for a bottle of the Red Mountain. I'd call them both equally good!

I am doing the Red Mountain AND the Meglioli Cab del veneto.

Both great!!!

so far.... Meglioli all the way.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am leaning toward the Red Mountain Cab, I think.
Goodfellow, I made the del veneto and found it a little thin for me.
smiley4.gif

Dean, do you think at one year this wine would be pretty good??

Wait a minute! You made the MM Meglioli Cab Sauv del Veneto and found it thin?
smiley3.gif

Do tell us more. What did you use to top off with? Water or wine?

uavwmn said:
Goodfellow, I made the del veneto and found it a little thin for me.
smiley4.gif

I'm not sure. The Red Mountain was 3 years old, I think, when I had it.

But actually *all* these high end kits taste miles better than the cheaper ones, even very early. The only problem is that it's sad to consume them before their potential gets fully reached. Kind of like having a Ferrari and only driving it on Sundays at 30 miles per hour.

Well Dean, when you put it in that context it is downright depressing.
smiley5.gif

ibeglowin, that is correct. I found it a bit thin. I went back to my notes and I did not annotate what I topped off with.
smiley5.gif
(It was one of the earlier kits I made) Whatever I used, I thought the wine tasted thin. Must dig around in my wine rack to see if I have another bottle. haha

Back