Big batch of bochet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Limping along now. Always bubbling, but doesn't SG doesn't move much. It looks like it's clearing already, lots of lees to rack it off of. I'm waiting though, don't want to stop the little bit of action that's happening now. Barely under 1.010, may not get much further I suppose, but then again, there is much further to get, lol.

Last edited:
I really should read more threads before I start something.

Nom nom nom... I think the banana bochet sounds incredible. Do you think it will be too late to add into mine? I started it over the past weekend. How many banana's do you think one would need to add to +-4.5 liters bochet?

I don't think it would be too late at all. Have no idea of the amount though, maybe someone else will suggest something. From what I understand, it's a good thing to use really dark ones, and to go ahead and toss in the peels as well. Let me know what you do, and how it turns out! That's high on my list of things to do as well.

Just keep in mind, It takes alot of bananas to get any banana flavor. I would say the darker the banana the more flavor you will get, but at that stage I would not use the peels

BOB

I have already aging banana wine. What would happen if I add that to the bochet once it is complete?

The only downside for me with mixing a banana wine would be that it just wouldn't be a mead anymore. If it tastes good, that may be beside the point for you, I would probably just taste a glass mixed and see if it isn't so good that you can't resist breaking the mead "code", lol.
Then again, maybe you and I both should just start brainstorming on another thread about banana mead and start a small batch later and compare notes.... Actually, looks like a lot of work has been done for us by Deezil on this most excellent thread: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f51/banana-bochet-port-34898/

Last edited:
The only downside for me with mixing a banana wine would be that it just wouldn't be a mead anymore.

Some will say it would still be mead as long as 51% of your fermentables came from honey. So it would all depend on how much banana wine you blend with your bochet.

Nom nom nom... I think the banana bochet sounds incredible. Do you think it will be too late to add into mine? I started it over the past weekend. How many banana's do you think one would need to add to +-4.5 liters bochet?

Definitely not too late to add bananas.

But if you really want to impart banana flavor use nothing but the blackened peel of uber ripened bananas, 1 kg of skins for your +/- 4.5L batch (or 3x the amount of uber ripened fruit plus skins, if you really want to use the fruit itself). Just be sure to remove the stringy things, they are like citrus pith. Make a 'skin soup', strain it/add it, and then place the peels in must for 3-5 days. Amazing how much banana flavor is provided. The fruit would provide more sugar, but the ripened skins alone will bowl you over; plus you will notice your must clears so much easier. You can always freeze the peeled bananas (they make the best instant ice cream if you toss in blender, add a dab of honey, vanilla, or rum) and use elsewhere.

Last edited:
Sounds great. I like the peel idea... Just a quick question... What you mean by skin soup?

Sounds great. I like the peel idea... Just a quick question... What you mean by skin soup?

You bring water to almost boiling, add the banana peels, remove from heat, cover and allow to cool to appropriate temperature for addition to must. Strain before adding. It is a common prep for uber ripe bananas too, or apple/pear peels & cores, peach skins. Skin soup.

Yep what saramc said! you just want to be careful what you do this with. Typically, when you boil you tend to lose lots of really awesume flavours. So, be careful what you do this with. However, it works great for bannanas.

Yep what saramc said! you just want to be careful what you do this with. Typically, when you boil you tend to lose lots of really awesume flavours. So, be careful what you do this with. However, it works great for bannanas.

I failed to mention, when making skin soup.... upon removal from heat source, COVER the cooking vessel, and ENSURE A GOOD SEAL (so you keep all essential oils and such within as it cools, limited evaporative loss).
You want this to steep for at least 15-20 minutes and then you can plunge into an ice bath if you cannot wait on the natural cooling process. Good point Seth!

Thanks! You also make good points.

I would think that perhaps we could make a "skin soup" without boiling. Perhaps doing a long and slow heating to avoid damaging more delicate flavours? I have not tried this before so it is only a thought...

Heck yeah, that's the concept of sous vide cooking. They seal bags of food in liquid and then drop them into hot water for very long periods of time. Might be worth doing with the banana peels too, imagine "boil in a bag" (though not actually boiling, lower heat, longer cook time) couldn't ask for a better seal.

So after clearing, this bochet is MUCH darker. It's still between cream soda and root beer (colored) in the glass, but I'm much happier with it. Great flavor right away, not so much toasted marshmellow, but a big yes on toffee, and caramel honey. The top off gallons have been oaking already in dark toast hungarian and that really adds something special.
The one with the fruit addition (I added a little concentrate of both elderberry and black cherry) isn't really noticeable in taste, except that it has a little more tartness which is good, but not really better. Maybe it will come out with age. I like them both right now. It did make it much darker though, lol.

I'm going to have a hard time not drinking this!

bochet.jpg

So the biggest flavour is toffee and caramel? Makes an apple bochet sound good lol. What does it look like in the glass?

It looks in the glass like a slightly darker cream soda. Or maybe a cross between that and root beer. I'd be happy to pull a glass tomorrow and snap a picture. Heck, then I could drink it. ;)

That would be really cool.. maybe you could even sticknthe glass in the freezer to se if you make some of it clear out for the pic.

It will help clear out the portion of wine you want to show off. Give it a few hours in the fridge and a lot of stuff will start dropping out of suspension force clearing a part of your sample.. Good for photos ya kno lol?

Latest posts

Back