Big batch of bochet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe we should all pick a fruit and do a bochetomel exchange? I'd be down! Of course being a mead, we'd all likely be aging it for a year or so. :ib

I was invisioning a botchet made from buckwheat aged in the secondary with vanilla beans, chocolate nibs, and perhaps some dried currants... oh and oak... Oh yes the oak!

Man that sounds good! I have ingredients for another blackberry jam wine, loquat wine coming (not quite ripe enough), but I think they may get bumped by the bochetomel, apricot or banana- not sure yet.

1.060 today, a little hotter than I would like at 74 F. But mother nature is not participating at the moment. Also noticed since the foam is gone, it's quite a bit lighter than I thought. My culinary arts background betrayed me I think. In the kitchen it's a bad thing to let sugar smoke, but I think I should have done it longer. Maybe I will back sweeten with some burnt honey at the end.

We backsweetened ours with some caremalized honey, really made it good, but now we have to wait for it to clear again! WVMJ

Man that sounds good! I have ingredients for another blackberry jam wine, loquat wine coming (not quite ripe enough), but I think they may get bumped by the bochetomel, apricot or banana- not sure yet.

1.060 today, a little hotter than I would like at 74 F. But mother nature is not participating at the moment. Also noticed since the foam is gone, it's quite a bit lighter than I thought. My culinary arts background betrayed me I think. In the kitchen it's a bad thing to let sugar smoke, but I think I should have done it longer. Maybe I will back sweeten with some burnt honey at the end.

1.040 today, may rack it into carboys today since a friend wants to make a blackberry jam wine here soon, need the primaries.

1/3 sugar break, does that mean 1/3 of the sugar gone or only 1/3 of the sugar left? Just curious..

Downwards, looks like all you'd have to do to make it more burned and smokey is leave it outside for a day or so. Hope the fires aren't close to you. Either way it's almost hot enough to brown it up just by leaving on driveway for a bit.
Mike
"breaking weather report, hot, dry, no wind and no fire here in the San Gabriel Valley......"

1/3 sugar break means 1/3 of all sugars have been fermented. 1.120 to 1.00 is a 120 point drop so the 1/3 sugar break is at 1.080 and the 1/2 is at 1.040. That means you should be making your last nutrient additions about now. I would not rack to secondary until you reach at least 1.010 because of the risk of stalling out your fermentation.

"Downwards, looks like all you'd have to do to make it more burned and smokey is leave it outside for a day or so. Hope the fires aren't close to you."

We aren't close enough to the fire to see anything but the plume of smoke out in the distance. And I think it's heading in the other direction, so we should be fine. I did stay home from school yesterday though, just to weed whack all the dry grasses from around the property and be ready to gather up the dogs if need be, lol. It was far enough away yesterday not to really worry about, but we live in a rural area with lots of brush, and the hot wind was going NUTS. Better safe than sorry.

Seth, thanks for that excellent explanation! Unfortunately, I've already racked, lol. Fingers crossed it won't make any problems. It is a little less than I thought, so I won't nutrient again, just because that likely means I've already given it pretty near enough. I'd estimate maybe 13.5- 14 gallons. Also I'm still waiting on the Fermaid K to arrive, so it looks like this batch will miss it.

Yeah, it looks like these two batches will miss out on the Fermaid K treatment.. .But who is to say future batches are not envisioned? I have 24 gallons of grape wine planed for this fall as well as at least 12 gallons of mead. at least some of it will be a botchet.

So here it is, actually very near 15 gallons after all. Was hard to say before because I had about 2 + gallons in a 6.5 carboy till I had sterilized a couple of my 1 gallon juice jugs.
Color is very very light. Even much lighter than it looked as must.

I am actually considering doing something different with a couple of these.

One 6.5 gallon will get some really dark honey for back sweetening.
One 6.5 gallon will get some juice concentrate instead. Don't know what kind yet, I'm about to check out the store.

And the 1 gallon carboys will be for topping off.

bochet .jpg

Wow. It's really 'go big or go home' with you guys, huh? :br it looks fabulous!

I keep thinking about toasted nuts...hmmm...wonder if that would work out?

There was a guy who did a buckwheat Bochet, he said his house smelt like a barnyard for a week! WVMJ

Awesome job! Our is black, very black. It's hard to see even the ruby color but it hasn't cleared quite yet... it's STILL fermenting.

And 1.030. Still warmer than I want it to be fermenting.

Edit, no reason to bump again for the SG- Sunday- 10:28 1.025, but much cooler today and it's back in the 60's.

Last edited:
Well, nobody has posted a thing about mead since my last, so I won't worry about bumping this since it's already there at the top.

1.010 today. It IS slowing down but I'll just let it go its own way, since it's almost there.

I did change the one 6.5 gallon carboy slightly. I went to the health food store that is local here, and found a bunch of bottles of liquid fruit juice concentrates. I picked up a black cherry and an elderberry that they had. Directions state that they should be reconstituted to not quite a gallon (together) so I don't think it will be overpowering in 6.5 gallons.
My oak has also arrived, so I'll be ready with it for when the bochets clear.

Back