Better Bottle Warning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dessertmaker

Reaction score
Found out from experience today: if you use a plastic carboy or racking container, when you get to the last bottle or two it's really light. (Duh)

The weight of a racking tube and bottle attachment is enough to pull the whole thing off the counter and spill the rest of your wine all over the floor.

If you let the tube hang down and turn around to grab your last bottle the slightest swing, tug, or change in balance and you may just lose the rest of your wine.

Rest in Peace Skeeter Pee. Rest in Peace.

I mention this because I have bottled a metric butt ton of wine and just let the tube hang if I needed to reach for corks or more bottles without thinking about the weight. Now I will have to put the BB in something to keep it from sliding off the counter.

Last edited:
Ha I had the exact experience two days ago while bottling an eclipse pinot gris.

Good thing it was only about a bottles worth left in the carboy!

Glad to know I'm not the only red headed stepchild in the group. This is alcohol abuse! My cousin says it requires group therapy. We should start our own AAA. Alcohol Abusers Anonymous.

"Hi I'm josh. And I'm an alcohol abuser. Yesterday, I whipped my alcohol until it stopped bubbling. And I knocked some on the floor. And then beat it with a mop. I felt horrible! I need help breaking the vicious cycle of alcohol abuse."

So far so good with my five gal BB. Not so good with one gal glass jugs! Just an FYI. When using a full sized auto syphon in a galleon jug the extra hight can cause the half full jug to tip off the counter and land on your empty bottles waiting to be filled. Smashed bottles, but the galeon jug and wine were fine!!! I ordered the smaller auto syphon that day...

Latest posts

Back