Better Bottle vs PET

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlTropical

Reaction score
Not starting a Glass or BB thread. I bought 1 glass carboy and inherited two more. I have been reading on the BB and saw references that any PET bottle is "just as good" from a food safety perspective.

Anyone have an opinion on a standard 5 gallon PET versus a standard BB (not ported)? i can get PET 5 gallon for 8.00+-, not sure it is a good idea or not.

Better Bottles ARE PET bottles. I can't say that all PET bottles are actually food grade; they could be, but it depends also on what was originally in them.

Most large water bottle are not PET bottles.

Better Bottles work fine except you can't use a vacuum pump to rack into one. They scratch easily inside, if a rough brush is used. Between use, they normally only need to be shaken with some cleaner solution, then rinsed and sanitized.

You can't pick up a Better Bottle filled with wine if the airlock is installed and has a kmeta solution in it. Depending on how you pick it up, it will either suck the solution into the bottle or blow it out of the air lock.

All this being said, I have several and use them regularly, especially during secondary. Since I rack with a vacuum pump, I have to limit when I use them.

Better Bottles ARE PET bottles. I can't say that all PET bottles are actually food grade; they could be, but it depends also on what was originally in them.

Thanks Robie: I understand BB is PET, however I am comparing paying BB for them or sourcing PET bottles (non BB) locally.

You can't pick up a Better Bottle filled with wine if the airlock is installed and has a kmeta solution in it. Depending on how you pick it up, it will either suck the solution into the bottle or blow it out of the air lock.

I pick mine up all the time with an airlock installed. One hand on the neck, and one underneath. You might have to practice a bit, but it's really not hard to make sure you don't let any airlock liquid go in or out. This is definitely one of the drawbacks of BB, but it is doable if you're careful.

I pick mine up all the time with an airlock installed. One hand on the neck, and one underneath. You might have to practice a bit, but it's really not hard to make sure you don't let any airlock liquid go in or out. This is definitely one of the drawbacks of BB, but it is doable if you're careful.

Yep, I hear you on that one. Doable, of course. My intentions were not to imply it couldn't be done, rather that one has to understand that if extra caution is not taken, it can cause a problem... just not an issue with glass carboys. :b

For me, trying to carry it with a "loaded" air lock is not worth the risk. I just remove the air lock, pick up and move the Better Bottle, then reinstall the air lock.

Until I started using a vacuum pump, I preferred Better Bottles, because they are lighter and not so breakable.

First, there are thousands of different PET plastic formulations, not just one. Better Bottles are made of a type of PET plastic intended (and tested) for use in plastic carboys. Some water bottles (NOT ALL) are made from a PET plastic designed for water, but not for alcohol or the acidity of wine/beer.

Vineco in Canada is now selling a non Better Bottle plastic carboy. I don't know if it is made of PET or another type of plastic, but presumably it has been designed/tested for it's use as a wine/beer carboy.

Personally I would not use a water bottle as a wine carboy, buit other people do.

Steve

What is the cheapest place to get BB? I have a few suppliers of food grade PET bottles emailing me already. I will ask them if they have any details on use for brewing/containing alcohol.

Better Bottles work fine except you can't use a vacuum pump to rack into one. They scratch easily inside, if a rough brush is used. Between use, they normally only need to be shaken with some cleaner solution, then rinsed and sanitized.

Better Bottles are all i use. And i do vacuum rack, but i use an enolamatic now you do have to watch as it will suck the sides in if you have it cranked up too high. Then after im finished racking i will pull out the transfer line and just use my thumb over the hole to vacuum degas. It works nicely for me, but i would imagine it doesn't have the higher vacuum's that yours does. Also i usually will have the carboy that im transferring from up higher than the one im transferring too. Doesn't work the pump as hard.

Like mentioned above they are very easy to clean. Also i use vodka in my airlocks so if it does get a little suck back it doesn't harm anything and gives it a little boost!

What is the cheapest place to get BB? I have a few suppliers of food grade PET bottles emailing me already. I will ask them if they have any details on use for brewing/containing alcohol.
questions...

1. carboys or wine bottles or water bottles?
2. quantities?

Steve

Back