Best Dry Red Ready to drink in 12 months or less?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll add my vote for Meza Luna Red. The batch I made was terrible at three and six months. At nine months, it was an entirely different wine, in a class with a $20 commercial wine. The two plus cases I made didn't make it to the 12 month aging point; there was none left by that time so I can't comment on how it would be for your daughter's wedding. My guess is that it would only get better with the additional aging.

Since the Meza Luna Red, I've made a variety wines to stock my cellar. The Meza Luna Red is one of the few wines that I will make again.

Thank you for all of your valued input! I can see that there are some reds out there that I will definitely be adding to my wish list :h

After much consideration and price comparison, I decided to make the WE Selection Argentinian Malbec which my future son-in-law has requested, and it will be ready to bottle in a couple of weeks. I will also make WE Diablo Rojo for those who don't care for a big, dry red. I have made Diablo Rojo in the past and found, as others here have noted, that it gets sweeter as it ages...I don't care for it past the 8 month mark, but palates vary and it may have a good audience in a crowd. I am also going to make a WE Selection Petit Verdot and see how it tastes as the wedding approaches. I won't plan to serve at the reception ALL of the wine yielded by these kits, but certainly none of it will go to waste!

I have a Cellar Craft Walla Walla Cab Merlot aging now. I hadn't intended to serve it at the wedding reception, but have any of you made this wine kit? If so, what are your thoughts on early drinkability?

I have a Cellar Craft Walla Walla Cab Merlot aging now. I hadn't intended to serve it at the wedding reception, but have any of you made this wine kit? If so, what are your thoughts on early drinkability?

IMHO the Walla Walla Cab/Merlot will be much better with some age on it. Some drink it early but I got to taste a fellow winemakers two batches. One at a year and three years old. Three year old was a fantastic wine!!! The one year old was still in diapers and throwing cheerios all over the floor. Not terrible, just not in the same ballpark. He has a few bottles from 2011 but did not offer to share a taste.

IMHO the Walla Walla Cab/Merlot will be much better with some age on it. Some drink it early but I got to taste a fellow winemakers two batches. One at a year and three years old. Three year old was a fantastic wine!!! The one year old was still in diapers and throwing cheerios all over the floor. Not terrible, just not in the same ballpark. He has a few bottles from 2011 but did not offer to share a taste.

I tried the CellarCraft WallaWalla Cab/Merlot at 9 months from bottling (2 weeks shy of 1 year from pitch date)...Amazing! I am not a big Merlot fan, but this blend is delicious. Full-bodied, fruity yet dry with notes of black cherry, coffee, and a hint of licorice. Will definitely make this one again. I've got a WE Selection Argentinian ready for the May wedding, but I may slip a couple bottles of this to the bartender and label "head table reserve"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back