best clearing agent for chocolate wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyiswine

Reaction score
I have a chocolate cherry wine that is done with secondary and degassed. I was going to add super kleer or sparkolloid to it soon to clear it. Anyone have a preferred clearing agent for chocolate wines? I mixed in a lot of cocoa powder. Much of it dropped out in the fermentation but there is a lot still suspended in the wine. Curious if one clearing agent works better on chocolate due to the positive/negative charge of the particles, the chemistry, etc.

I have used Super Clear on a Chocolate Blueberry I made Worked well but It takes a long time for all the coco to drop out even with a finning agent. The next time I think I am going to get nibbs and try them.

I "experimented" and mixed in some hot mix sparkolloid. The sparkolloid i use on my pee starts to work very fast and you can see results within the first 24-48 hrs. So far it doesnt look like the sparkolloid has done anything. Gonna give it some time but might need to try something else.

Just wondering if anyone has found any solutions for clearing chocolate wine?

Just wondering if anyone has found any solutions for clearing chocolate wine?

What is your source for the chocolate? With what I have worked with in past three years, if using cocoa powder you really want time to take care of it. A year or two. This gives the acids in the cocoa powder the appropriate time to break down and add their sinfully delicious compounds to the wine. I bottled some after a year and kept another portion to bulk age for another year--and the two year aged product is much better than the 12 month wine; though both are delicious.I have yet to add anything other than bentonite on the front end and the wines are quite clear. I have worked with several brands dutch processed cocoa powder, unsweetened Hershey's and Special Dark, Hershey's sweetened chocolate syrups & roasted cacoa nibs.

Hi Saramc. I haven't used any yet. I wanted to get an idea of what would work best - cocoa powder, real chocolate pieces, nibs, extract, etc. I actually have some organic cocoa nibs that I thought I'd try over the cocoa powder if clearing was going to be an issue, but obviously you have had success. I didn't realize that the chocolate needed to, or benefited from breaking down over time.

As for aging the wine, how long can you keep it for? Would there be a shorter expiry with a wine that isn't clear?

Out of all of the chocolate types you've tried, what do think works best? Also, if I wanted to experiment with 1 gallon, how much chocolate would you suggest aging? How many times did you rack?

Will try to answer everything, do not hesitate to respond if I missed something.

If I have a wine that is bulk aging, is clear, stable and I decide I want to add a chocolate kick I commonly add 1 cup of Hershey's Syrup or the Special Dark Syrup per gallon. I have not used any other brand of syrup. Just remember if wine has not been stabilized with k-meta + sorbate it will likely referment due to addition of sweet syrup. The wine drops clear again quickly, less than two weeks, and I then rack. You can enhance the chocolate by adding 2-5 drops quality vanilla extract per 750ml bottle.

If I know I want to incorporate chocolate from the beginning then I add it in primary. Usually 4 ounces by weight per gallon, a Dutch processed cocoa powder is preferred. Its acid base is more balanced and will actually need less time to age compared to a basic cocoa powder, like Hershey's natural unsweetened. Do all your acidity adjustment on the backend because the cocoa powder messes with everything up front, or adjust before you add the cocoa powder. You will get immense chocolate foam in primary, allow plenty of headspace. Plus, you will develop gross fudgelike lees. You will stir the cap like normal and rack off gross lees like normal THOUGH you want to keep fruit contained as much as possible because you want to let the finer chocolate lees remain so the components break down rather than removing them all prematurely. I find that I may rack 3-4 more additional times with a cocoa powder based wine versus one without. Two rackings to deal with gross lees and one extra racking for fine lees. I find it takes around 8-9 months after reaching FG for a whole fruit based wine, which has cocoa powder added, to clear; even less for a 100% juice based chocolate wine. But, since they need to bulk age it really matters not, in my opinion. I just make sure my fruit based lees are dealt with and then sit back and relax.

With nibs, I put them in secondary for up to 12 weeks. Would do the same for solid chocolate (if I opted to work with it). The use of milk chocolate, due to its casein content, will act like a fining agent, so you usually see sooner clearing. I also add instant espresso granules or freshly roasted coffee beans to intensify chocolate component--amount varies, when to add primary vs secondary... still experimenting.

Chocolate mead is delightful, and every batch I have made clears so much earlier than wine. Talking in less than 90 days.

I have added a chocolate extract, Star Kay White is the preferred brand, found online at Olive Nation. And I will add it drop by drop to a glass when I want to see how it would taste. No reason why you cannot use extract unless you plan to enter competition (some may not allow).

As far as aging, handle like any other wine. If you bottle prematurely and wine is not clear, do not worry. I find some of my earlier-in-the-process bottles have a fine chocolate sediment and I just swirl the bottle or decant, just depends. And my favorite is made using Droste cocoa powder. Chocolate raspberry, chocolate raspberry chambourcin, and chocolate chai mead are among my favorites, plus it is so easy to go port-style with these wines.

Last edited:
Saramc, I certainly appreciate you sharing! You clearly have a lot of experience with this!

I have both a raspberry and cherry wine that have been bulk aging for several months. They are not bad, but not great either. Based on what you've said, I think I will experiment by adding cocoa powder to one and chocolate syrup to the other. I like the idea of possibly going port-style! I will definitely consider trying a chocolate mead out, as well as adding vanilla and roasted coffee as a flavour enhancer for future wines I make.

A couple of other questions, adding chocolate in the secondary sounds much easier than adding into the primary. What benefit is there of adding it to the primary? Does the chocolate develop better? Is it more intense? I would think it wouldn't matter, but then again, I've never experimented with chocolate that wasn't already in a kit.

Also, how do you deal with the excess oil that is released from the chocolate into the wine. Do you have to skim this off? I would think that it would cause the wine to go rancid after a while.

Last edited:
Rochelle....I have had no issues with any oils released by the chocolate. I think using a high count cacoa product helps, but even when using simple Hershey's there have been no problems.
As far as how the syrup vs the powder taste, in my opinion, the powder contributes a more dense chocolate profile. You smell it, you taste it. The syrup has a softer essence, but still contributes. If that makes sense at all.
It definitely is simpler to add a syrup or solid to must in the secondary container, nothing wrong with that. Do what works for you. Many feel adding/working with the powder in primary is too troublesome, but I find the end product is well worth it. I should add, that if working with the powder you need to be spot on with racking so not to lose too much, since you do more racking than normal--so this would definitely be a case of having excess must available for topping up or start bigger to allow for racking losses.
Still on my list is to use 'black cocoa powder', it is high quality and heavily dutched. This is the same cocoa powder used to make those famous Oreo cookies.
Perhaps a chocolate banana?

Have fun, I do not think you will be disappointed.

Last edited:
Wow. Saramc, thanks again for the tips!! I'm very excited to start working with chocolate and experimenting with so many different flavour combinations!

Five gallons of mesquite mead

Will try to answer everything, do not hesitate to respond if I missed something.

If I have a wine that is bulk aging, is clear, stable and I decide I want to add a chocolate kick I commonly add 1 cup of Hershey's Syrup or the Special Dark Syrup per gallon. I have not used any other brand of syrup. Just remember if wine has not been stabilized with k-meta + sorbate it will likely referment due to addition of sweet syrup. The wine drops clear again quickly, less than two weeks, and I then rack. You can enhance the chocolate by adding 2-5 drops quality vanilla extract per 750ml bottle.

If I know I want to incorporate chocolate from the beginning then I add it in primary. Usually 4 ounces by weight per gallon, a Dutch processed cocoa powder is preferred. Its acid base is more balanced and will actually need less time to age compared to a basic cocoa powder, like Hershey's natural unsweetened. Do all your acidity adjustment on the backend because the cocoa powder messes with everything up front, or adjust before you add the cocoa powder. You will get immense chocolate foam in primary, allow plenty of headspace. Plus, you will develop gross fudgelike lees. You will stir the cap like normal and rack off gross lees like normal THOUGH you want to keep fruit contained as much as possible because you want to let the finer chocolate lees remain so the components break down rather than removing them all prematurely. I find that I may rack 3-4 more additional times with a cocoa powder based wine versus one without. Two rackings to deal with gross lees and one extra racking for fine lees. I find it takes around 8-9 months after reaching FG for a whole fruit based wine, which has cocoa powder added, to clear; even less for a 100% juice based chocolate wine. But, since they need to bulk age it really matters not, in my opinion. I just make sure my fruit based lees are dealt with and then sit back and relax.

With nibs, I put them in secondary for up to 12 weeks. Would do the same for solid chocolate (if I opted to work with it). The use of milk chocolate, due to its casein content, will act like a fining agent, so you usually see sooner clearing. I also add instant espresso granules or freshly roasted coffee beans to intensify chocolate component--amount varies, when to add primary vs secondary... still experimenting.

Chocolate mead is delightful, and every batch I have made clears so much earlier than wine. Talking in less than 90 days.

I have added a chocolate extract, Star Kay White is the preferred brand, found online at Olive Nation. And I will add it drop by drop to a glass when I want to see how it would taste. No reason why you cannot use extract unless you plan to enter competition (some may not allow).

As far as aging, handle like any other wine. If you bottle prematurely and wine is not clear, do not worry. I find some of my earlier-in-the-process bottles have a fine chocolate sediment and I just swirl the bottle or decant, just depends. And my favorite is made using Droste cocoa powder. Chocolate raspberry, chocolate raspberry chambourcin, and chocolate chai mead are among my favorites, plus it is so easy to go port-style with these wines.

Sorry I missed this thread first time around, but I have five gallons of mead that I am wanting to divide up into smaller batches and experiment with a bit. It has been bulk aging for four months and has been backsweetened to 1.005. I measure the ABV at 14.83%.

I am thinking of a chocolate mead, a medium toast plus oaked mead, a vanilla mead, and I am intrigued by the opportunity to do a port style with a chocolate mead.

The plan for the chocolate mead was to use special dark syrup - do you add vanilla to those? I am not sure how to make a port-style wine with mead. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

terroir....you can incorporate vanilla with any chocolate. It is the last thing I add before bottling, homemade extract, since I do tasting trials to figure out what I want to add, if I add vanilla . You can change the intensity per bottle. As far as a port-style mead, I have not made one simply because I think mead is delicate enough without losing the balance of the honey due to the fortification process, not to say it could not be done.

Downwards... actually just got some of the black cocoa powder. Cannot wait to use it!

Last edited:
Sara, Last year I made a small batch of chocolate wine using nibs. I found no problem clearing that wine but when I have used powder Bentonite seems to work. That said, I am finding that as the chocolate nib wine ages in the bottle it seems to become more golden and the chocolate flavors are coming more to the front.
Currently, I am experimenting with blocks of Lindt chocolate (90 percent ) - one bar per gallon - and letting finished wine stand on the chocolate for a couple of months. I have added bars of chocolate to an orange wine, an hibiscus flower wine and to a spiced tea wine.

Yes, I feel bad because on another thread I slammed using powder. Well, it really is a pain in the butt till it does clear. But what the heck, I was making a port right? Shouldn't be drinking any time soon anyway. My dark orange chocolate port might not come across with the orange, but nobody misses the big big chocolate taste from the black chocolate powder.

Sara, Last year I made a small batch of chocolate wine using nibs. I found no problem clearing that wine but when I have used powder Bentonite seems to work. That said, I am finding that as the chocolate nib wine ages in the bottle it seems to become more golden and the chocolate flavors are coming more to the front.
Currently, I am experimenting with blocks of Lindt chocolate (90 percent ) - one bar per gallon - and letting finished wine stand on the chocolate for a couple of months. I have added bars of chocolate to an orange wine, an hibiscus flower wine and to a spiced tea wine.

Yeah, I always fail to mention the use of bentonite up front when using cocoa powder. It is a given for my crafting but I swear I leave that step out almost every time I yap about using cocoa powder. It does help sooth the volcanic chocolate lava eruptions and foaming, that's for sure!

I cannot keep bar chocolate, I break off pieces of even the most bittersweet and nibble. I even chew on nibs when I have them available. I do have a few hand crafted bars I brought back from my Mediterranean cruise just waiting, waiting, waiting. Quite proud that they have survived one month already. Nibble? Flavor some wine? Nibbling, while drinking some wine is my vote. But I do need to do some experiments with bar chocolate, simple enough. What weight/size bar per gallon?

FYI, hibiscus and any chocolate is quite lovely, I eat chocolate covered hibiscus flowers every year.

Yes, I feel bad because on another thread I slammed using powder. Well, it really is a pain in the butt till it does clear. But what the heck, I was making a port right? Shouldn't be drinking any time soon anyway. My dark orange chocolate port might not come across with the orange, but nobody misses the big big chocolate taste from the black chocolate powder.

I am envisioning one of those foil wrapped chocolate oranges & dark chocolate covered candied orange peel...poured in a glass!!

Last edited:
Saramc, I have read your post and appreciate your experience and insight. My wife likes chocolate flavored wines and I was wondering if you have a chocolate/raspberry Cab or Merlot recipe that you would be willing to share.

I am so new to this hobby so if you could enlighten me as to what elements of working with Chocolate that I need to be watchful for.
thanks
Waterloo Wino
Steve

Back