Behind the scenes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fontana wine kits

FOLLOW THIS SIMPLE FLOW AND WATCH ME AND TOM TAKE INEXPENSIVE WINE KIT AND MAKE IT TASTE LIKE A GOOD ONE.WITH THE PRICES OF WINE KITS TODAY AND THE WAY THEY ARE ON THE RISE THIS COULD BE A DECENT WAY TO GO.FOLLOW THE FLOW SIMPLE AND EASY A 4 WEEK WINE WONDER??:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy

1 (2).jpg

1.jpg

1B.jpg

2.jpg

2A.jpg

2B.jpg

2C.jpg

2D.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
Cheap kits

cheap kits continue..
TOM AND I ARE GOING TO MAKE TWO INEXPENSIVE WINE KITS FROM FONTANA WINE THESE ARE 4 WEEKS KITS SOMETHING TO PLAY AROUND WITH AND TO EXPERIMENT WITH AS WELL.WERE NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING FANCY WITH THEM JUST WANT TO MAKE THESE CHEAP KITS SO THAT WHEN THEY FINISH THEY TASTE GOOD,WE’LL SEE.
1. SHORTEN THE VOLUMN FROM A 6 TO A 5 GALLON
2. CAPITALIZE EACH TO A STARTING SG OF 1.10
3. ADDED OAK TO BOTH ONLY/ONE CAME WITH OAK
4. IN THE SECONDARY WILL ADD 1 TABLE SPOON OF OAK TANNINS.

THE IDEA OF SHORTENNING THE VOLUMN WAS TO INCREASE THE DENSITY OF THE BASE, AS IT WAS IF WE WERE TO MAKE A 6-GALLON BATCH AS DIRECTED THE WINE WOULD HAVE BEEN VERY THIN AND VERY LITTLE ALCOHOL. THE INEXPENSIVE KITS THAT STATE FOR 6 GALLONS IN MY OPPION CAN BE MADE INTO A 5 GALLON BATCH WITH OUT SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES UNLESS THEY HAVE A FPAC FROM THE MANUFACTURE.

THIS SHOULD BE A SHORT PROCESS AND MAYBE,JUST MAY BE, A WAY TO CURVE THOSE HIGHER WINE KIT COSTS???

5.jpg

6.jpg

IMG_20150624_155619933_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150625_102836175_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150625_105239187.jpg

We have known Joe for years and we both help each other. :h

To old wine-o's

GO BACK AND REVIEW THE TWO INEXPENSIVE KITS TOM AND I DID THIS IS ANOTHER REAL ALTERNATIVE TO EXPENSIVE WINE KIT'S OR FOR THOSE WHO ARE JUST STARTING OUT IN THE WINE MAKING HOBBY. THERE EASY AND YOU CAN REALLY THINK OUT SIDE THE BOX WITH THESE............:i

1.jpg

2.jpg

In my experience, reducing the volume of water added to these cheaper kits is one way to increase the "density" by not diluting the ratio of Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) as much as the manufacturer directs. However, this can easily be taken too far - I have sampled another winemaker's "experiment" in which he took a 7L kit designed to make 6 gallons of wine (similar to the kits in Joe's post above) and added only enough water to make 4.5 gallons. The final result was a dry but syrupy red wine - the taste was ok, but the texture was all wrong because it was still too concentrated.

I reduce the water addition for these kits to a total of 5.5 gallons initially (instead of 6 gallons), expecting to lose some in racking, and usually end up with a little over 5 gallons of finished wine. I think that is the right compromise of dilution and value - reducing the initial volume to 5 gallons would be too much, IMO. But hey, it's your nickel, so do what you want.

Cheap wine kits

THE BASIC PREMISE IS TO HAVE THE CORRECT SG BEFORE AND AFTER AND THAT'S WHAT WE SET OUT TO DO,ADDING THE WOOD FOR THE PH AND TANNINS IN THE SECONDARY, WE SHOULD BE PERTY WELL BALANCED NOT WITH SYRUP BUT A BETTER BALANCED WINE OVERALL.BUT TIME WILL TELL AND IN THIS CASE NOT MUST TIME IS NEEDED...:wy...STAY TOONED...:wy

Toms wine

DOES ANYONE KNOWN WHAT CAUSED THIS????/WENT TO UPLOAD PICS AND RECEIVED THIS ..
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.
If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

WHATS A SECURITY TOKEN???

Last edited:
Toms wine

AS I SUSPECTED KNOW PROBLEM SO FAR WITH TAKING THESE KITS FROM A 6 GALLON MIX DOWN TO A 5.BALANCE WAS GOOD TEXTURE WAS SPOT ON AND FOR WHAT ITS WORTH THE VALUE MADE SENSE TO DO .CAN'T PUT UP PICS I'M BEING BLOCK SOME HOW ON ALL THREADS,STAY TUNED AND WILL WORK IT OUT.:spm

Joe,
I think the "over size font police" have stepped in and locked you out.
Good luck

Toms wine kits

here's whats happened as stated the 5 to 6 gallon reduction on these kits only enhanced the products overall texture and quality,don't get me wrong it's not going to be a 12.99 bottle of wine but it will be 9.99 and that's a fact,the degassing process is on going and should be completed this week then we'll rack and TRANSFER back to our clean carboys add a little more oak FOR bite and tannins for texture then let it rest for 2 weeks then rack and bottle.

1.jpg

1a.jpg

1aa (2).jpg

1b (2).jpg

1c.jpg

2A.jpg

2B.jpg

2C.jpg

2D.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
TOMS kits continued

you can always upgrade a kit if you can learn to THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX, follow the process so far so good..

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Cheap wine kits

johnt in all honesty you would think that these kits wouldn't do any creditable wine making but they have a place in the kit industry and can be made into a contender maybe not with the higher end kits but truly the middle ground ones and especially for those just starting out as a base wine kit to experiment and move up with and learn from.:u

Toms wine kits continued

were going to rotate forward ,review and then bottle,these are inexpensive wine kits with a future in this industry,really..

1.jpg

1a.jpg

1aa (2).jpg

1b (2).jpg

1c.jpg

2A.jpg

2B.jpg

2C.jpg

2D.jpg

3.jpg

Latest posts

Back