Beaverdale Barolo kIT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewisericeric

Reaction score
Hi guys

My Beaverdale Barolo is heading towards the end of fermentation but I'm a little confused on a few things.

The instructions say when first making the wine that you should put enough water in to take the level up to 4.54 litres which is way below the neck of the 1 gallon demijohn (around shoulder level) and fermentation has proceeded nicely and is starting to slow down.

I'm expecting to clear in a few days time.

However, after reading some posts on here Im worried that the demijohn should be filled up to the neck to avoid oxidation and excess air being in the demijohn.

Can anyone advise as the instructions dont call for @f-pACKs@ or any topping up whatsoever throughout the fermentation process.

I really don't want my wines spoiling though. Could there already be something in the kits to stop oxidation?

Many thanks
Lewis

Adding in k-meta helps to protect against oxidation - that doesn't mean it won't happen. The best way to avoid oxidation is to add the k-meta in and keep your vessel topped up - to avoid O2 exposure. When racking - avoid splash racking, if you are using a vacuum pump - be sure that the connections are air tight.

I am not familiar with that kit - so as far as an F-Pac or what to top up with - i am not sure. Hang tight - someone will know what you should top up with.

K-meta is potassium metabisulfite, comes as crystals, I believe the campden is the same thing but in tablet form.

Does anyone know the ratio? Is it 1 table=1/2tsp of crystal?

Good question - Campden is the tablet form - although that is Sodium Metabisulphite - i prefer to use the Potassium Metabisulphite (k-meta) in the powder form. Easier to measure and dissolve.

I think that 1 tablet = 1/16 tsp.

Usually you use 1 campden tablet per gallon of wine. The directions on the k-meta state 1/16 tsp per gallon.

But i do 1/16 per 1 1/2 gallons of wine or 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons of wine.

but does anyone have any more info about topping up to the neck of the demijohn or should i just leave it as it is as per the instructions? :a1

Well, 4.55 liters is one Imp gal and since you're in UK I assume your demijohn is an Imp gal one so either the demijohn is a little larger or the 4.54 liter mark was a little off. Like others, I'm not familiar with these kits, but you will be ok until fermentation is completed. When you rack off the sediment and stabilize you will have even less, so you can either get a 4 liter jug to transfer to or put some kind of filler in your demijohn ( some people use sanitized marbles).
This is a red wine so not quite as susceptible to oxidation as a white, so you are ok for a little while. Also, some people add ascorbic acid to prevent oxidation - I have not done this so I don't know how much or when you add.
How long before you can bottle this?

Usually you would add 1/8 tsp of absorbic acid per gallon - i only add that to fruits that are more susceptible to browning - peaches, apples, etc.

You can:
1. add sanitized marbles to fill out the empty space
2. you can top up with a like wine
3. go to a smaller vessel (I prefer this option IMO)

1 gallon kits? Damn just add marbles to take up space, this is to little to not affect taste using water or other wine. Campden tabs come in 2 sizes as well. If you can, use powder and measure. It is less work because you don't have to grind them before dissolving and it is cheaper Less work, less cost= better(in my book)

and at what point should i add this campden tablet? after fermentation is complete?
Campden is potassium metabisulfite (or K-meta). I would expect that there is some K-meta in your kit's additives to be added day 14-18 range.

Unfortunately Beaverdale kits are not sold in North America, so most of us on this forum have not seen them so are not familiar with instructions/additives.

I would LOVE to get my hands on a couple of 1 gallon kits, especially if available in some of the varieties we haven't tried like Viognier or Grenache.

Steve

Latest posts

Back