Cellar Craft Batonnage my Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalGuy

Reaction score
I am starting a Cellar Craft Sterling Chardonnay. My goal is to get a more buttery texture out of this kit. My question is, during this Batonnage process, how long should I do it for? I was planning on 30 days, bulk age it for six months with about three rackings in that time frame.

How long? You gotta go by taste. It depends on which yeast. For D47 I usually go about 8 weeks (starting with 3/wk stirrings and tapering to about 1/wk). CY3079 autolyzes a bit faster so I typically go less. It also depends on how much lees you have in secondary (a dusting or a thick blanket?).

Because of the kit you might find that you might get a more bready /yeasty flavour from the battonage rather than buttery. Usually buttery comes from the malo, which isn't recomended on kits.

Long ago, one of my first wine kits, I tried sur lee with battonage on a chardonnay. I think it did come pretty close to buttery, but not exactly. I guess the kit might have been blended to taste that way anyhow.

Its worth a shot.

Back