Barrel storage solution

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrycrush

Reaction score
I need fill my barrel with storage solution between batches. Any suggestion how to make a storage solution? with citric acid and Kmeta I suppose? how much acid and kmeta to add?

I think if malolactic bacteria eat citric acid it produces vinegar.

You'll find several formulas floating around. I would use 15 grams citric acid and 8 grams kmeta for every 5 gallons of solution. Hopefully you don't have to hold the barrel this way for too long as you will lose valuable oak to the solution.

3TBS of KMeta per gallon of water is what I use for sanitizing. With the way SO2 levels drop in the barrel, you may need to add 1/8 tsp per month or so.

A malo culture converts malic acid to lactic acid. It is acetobacter that converts alcohol to vinegar.

7 years is a long time on the internet!

But, anyway, @codeman was not wrong. MLB can, indeed, metabolize citric acid. And when it does, acetic acid is one of the byproducts.
Citric Acid

I use the recipe in the Morewine Barrel Care for a storage soln. I sub the citric acid in the barrel storage soln for tartaric acid. The pH comes out to be ~2.9, which give a lot of free SO2 to protect the barrel. Oak Barrel Care Guide | MoreWine

Back