Barrel Questions..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clemson81

Junior
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a Vadai 23L hungarian med toast…
- Do I have to have a free SO2 tester if I'm going to use a barrel? If so, what's the most affordable option that will actually do a good job?
- How many wine kits would you recommend me having ready to go in bulk aging before I got my barrel?
- When you receive your barrel, does it come in a wrap that will seal it off from any bacteria getting in it? Ie: If I had it delivered to me before I was ready to begin using it, could I just keep it in the wrapping or would I need to use a sulphur candle?

Thanks everyone!

I've got several Vadai barrels and here is my 2 cents worth.
I started with a aeration/oxidation tester for so2 and moved to an SC100 because I already had Ph meter. If I had to do it all over I would go with a SC300. I feel being able to test fso2 accurately when using barrels is a must.
My recommendation is to start 2 batches. When finished ,one will go in and the other will age. After about 4 weeks, depending on the taste, swap and start a 3rd. After the 3rd you can slow down starting batches. I figure 4 weeks from start to ready to into a barrel. Remember to barrel them based on taste, not time in the barrel.
I kept my 2 -40L wrapped in the plastic for about 4 months before finally hydrating and filling them.
There is a great sticky on barrels in this section on using them.
I love them. Have 5 now.

Have fun but be careful. They multiply!

The family!.jpg

Latest posts

Back