Barrel Conundrum

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernChemist

Professor
Reaction score
I have read for quite some time now on here and other places about the virtues of having an oak barrel. I've long been sold on the concept, and I think it's awesome what people on here have been able to achieve with their wines. Part of me would love to get a barrel. Another part of me, however, has always been hesitant (initially about costs and the need to keep the barrel full). The more I've looked into this, the more I wish I had just bought a barrel sooner. From what I can tell, the consensus seems to be that a 23L barrel would be an ideal size for someone who makes kit wines, and one should expect to put 3-4 kits through it the first year (assuming a typical schedule of 4,8, 12, 16... weeks). The costs are lower than I initially thought, and I'll be making wine anyway.

I guess the biggest concern for me right now is that my current postdoc will probably be up at the end of August/September 2014, and that means I will be moving (to where yet I do not know). I know barrels can be dried and treated, but I also know it's just easier to keep them full. Would it make sense to buy a barrel now and then have to deal with that situation later year? Or would it make more sense to just hold off on a barrel until after that time period? The more rational part of me says to just hold off, but the less rational part of me is just too excited at the possibility of taking my wines to the next level. I might be making this more complicated than it should be.

Any thoughts from the members of the Barrel Club would be appreciated!

A 23 L barrel may be tricky for Kits. Barrels need topping up as the wines age and Kits won't provide you with that extra wine. Of course you can add commercial wine, marbles, or some other things to top up as well.

I bought a 20L barrel last year for making wines from fresh grapes but find it to be a bit small. 23L would be a bit of an upgrade but I will probably go to a 40L next time. The small barrels oak very quickly at first and the evaporation rate is huge.

I had to burn a sulfur candle to protect it for a while this year and right now I have some KMETA/citric solution in it. It think it would be way easier if you can keep it full of wine, other methods are a PIA.

Go with the 23L barrel. Top off with cheap commercial until you have enough of your own wine. The smaller the barrel the more leakage problems they seem to have. The now or later question can only be answered by knowing how much time would lapse before you drain it and refill it. Weeks or a month. Get it now. Month(s)........ Might be better to hold off till after you are settled.

Doing post doc I assume you are young, poor and have a bright future. Wait a year on the barrel. Then go with the 23 ltr.

Thanks for the input, guys. I think I am going to hold off for now, but getting a barrel will definitely happen one day.

Another voice for the 23L barrel. Thankfully when you put your first series of kits through it, you will have more than enough wine to replace the angel's share.

Also, you can use oak spirals to "freshen up" the barrel down the road.

Back