Barolo Juice pail PH 4.0

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba1

Reaction score
Just picked up 4 juice pails checked PH with a meter at 4.05 can I lower the ph with an acid blend if yes how much do I use I have 24 gallons and they are 42 degrees right now This is the acid blend I have.

IMG_1082.jpg

It isn't already fermenting, is it? CO2 can throw the meter off. Buckets are usually pretty well balanced, so I'm surprised to see one at 4.0

It isn't already fermenting, is it? CO2 can throw the meter off. Buckets are usually pretty well balanced, so I'm surprised to see one at 4.0

This was tested pre fermentation and juice was 42 degrees with chunks of slushy ice in it.

Before you adjust the acid, make sure your pH meter is calibrated with standards and titrate the juice to get your TA. If nothing else, simply measure the pH 4.01 standard to be sure that your meter is reading correctly.

I agree that you should adjust your acid using tartaric acid only. You'll need to add enough to drop the pH down to say 3.65. This may be 0.5-1.0 g/L, so up to 91g tartaric addition to your juice. This will be stable for fermentation, allow the sulfites to be effective, and provide buffer for any potassium bitartrate (aka wine diamond) precipitation.

Latest posts

Back