Barbeque

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried the "Drunk" chicken Hippie? Load that beer can up with garlic, sage, rosemary and stuff the neck cavity full of onions and garlic and WOW !!

Yes, Waldo, I do them on 250* for 4 hours. The doc says no dark meat poultry. I need some big blue cat filets to smoke about every other day. Muscadine vine should do them up right, or some wine-soaked oak out of a carboy.

smiley20.gif

You can have them "blues" hippie. I will take a good 10-20 lb flathead any ole day.

I think you are right, it's just that the blues are more plentiful up here and easy to catch in the big clear water Loch Greers Ferry. Flatheads definitely taste the best. The ugliness is such a contrast to the good taste.

smiley33.gif

I used to do alot of juggin. I no longer have my trusty old jonboat. I sure need one. As the nights get cooler, those big blues up in the clear water Loch Greers Ferry really start wanting to fatten up for the winter. I like to go down here to the river with my ultralight rig and catch shad on a little white jig. I cut them up and put in pint jars in the freezer. After they thaw in sunlight, they are ready for the hook! Work good on jugs fished 20-30 feet deep and allowed to drift freely.

smiley20.gif
Edited by: Hippie

A trick I learned some time back with blues was when I caught them, what I wanted to keep for myself I had a live box suspended about 30 foot deep from one of the buoys above Remmel Dam and I would put them in the live box for about 5-6 days and let them flush themselves out in that cold water. made a helluva difference in their flavor and texture

How did your trip to the clinic go? Hope all is OKEdited by: Waldo

All is good. Just getting back on my shots that I discontinued a couple years ago, which was a bad mistake. Also found out I am allergic to pet dander and molds, in addition to all the other allergens I already knew about. Oh well. Thanks for asking.

Good idea with the catfish. Makes good sense. Alsoa good way to keep them until you have time to clean and eat them fresh, at least give you a few days to plan a bigcook.

<hr>

"Have you tried the "Drunk" chicken Hippie? Load that beer can up with
garlic, sage, rosemary and stuff the neck cavity full of onions and
garlic and WOW !!"

We do the same thing at our house only its called butt plug chicken.

Yep, been doing them for a few years. The beer is just for moisture, one might use wine or even just water with herbs and spices. The type of Cookshack smoker oven like Stinkie and I have retain alot of moisture throughout the cook, so it kinda becomes overkill. It works very well in a normal range oven, where chicken gets dry alot of times.

smiley20.gif

they had rib eye on sale at Walmart yesterday, so I tried on in the smoker....very good!!

2005-09-20_203714_prime_rib_cooked_003.jpg

2005-09-20_203805_prime_rib_cooked_005.jpg

Tastes just right with the right hot sauce!!

Looks like you smoke/cooked to about 125-130 internal? Man!I wish I could have beef. I have been hankering to do a boneless prime rib roast. I did one last year stuffed with with garlic chunks stuffed into slits and rubbed with black pepper and salt only. It was the best ever as witnessed by 9 people! Did you know the 008 CS was originally designed as a prime rib oven?

smiley20.gif

I did not know that....I used a recipe from the cookshack forum,
preheated the smoker to 250 put the meat in for 1 hour, then to 140 for
4 hours, one garlic clove in the smoke box no wood, i put my home rub
on the meat just before putting it in. It was GREAT and the best thing
was it was on sale at Walmart for $3 a pound!! marked down from 6.55

Sounds good, but I still don't understand why you won't use a remote temp probe.

Do those work pretty good Hippie. I have been considering one for my grilling. Supposedly you can set it and wear the unit on your belt like a cell phone and it will beep you when your meat reaches the temp you set it for.

I just don't see the need to use the temp probes, I have two of them, I
smoked a pork yesterday for a bean feed we had at work, I had to leave
it in for 24 hours, I foiled it after 14 hours and turned the smokette
down to 210 then at 20 hours lowered the temp to 190, at 24 hours
foiled again and into the cooler, we had it 4 hours later at work,
there was enough food for a week, but the 9lb pork dissapeared faster
than a set of rims at a puff daddy concert...lol

Stinkie,

Just came across your picture here...are you sure that meat is dead ?????
smiley2.gif

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

Back