Banana Kiwi recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your hydrometer says what?

1.15?.. that's about 16% potential alcohol?.. are you sure? Ideally you want a reading of about 1.080 starting gravity for fruit wines or the finished wines have too much abv to be palatable.

Strain some of the must off.. enough to recheck the hydrometer reading. . Most of my recipes call for almost 3 pounds of sugar to a 4.5 to 5 litre gallon jar. We can fix it if we have to.. I just want you to double check your reading first.

Allie

your hydrometer says what?

Allie

Strained some through a paint strainer bag this morning, 1.15.
My floating thermometer now floats horizontally instead of vertically.

I may of interpreted JK banana wine #1 heavy bodied recipe wrong.
It calls for 1USg of water. If you use a full gallon then add sugar and raisins you would have a lot more than 1gal total.
I went for 20 liters total. If I remember correctly the water I used would be about 15-16 liters. Which would leave me a few liters short.
Could be it.?
Any ideas.

Cheers Bill

Strained some through a paint strainer bag this morning, 1.15.
My floating thermometer now floats horizontally instead of vertically.

I may of interpreted JK banana wine #1 heavy bodied recipe wrong.
It calls for 1USg of water. If you use a full gallon then add sugar and raisins you would have a lot more than 1gal total.
I went for 20 liters total. If I remember correctly the water I used would be about 15-16 liters. Which would leave me a few liters short.
Could be it.?
Any ideas.

Cheers Bill

hehehe it's floating sideways?..

ok..

do you have a spare 1 gallon container anywhere?

I suggest you take a gallon ( 3.5 litres) of the mix out, top up with 2 litres of water and recheck the SG..that gives us an extra 1.5 litres of water that can be added if it's still too high... any excess wine must can be frozen and added to your next batch or simmered down into an F-pac to backsweeten this wine later.. so it won't be wasted. if we can get the SG down to 1.090 or just under, the wine will be a better finished alcohol level.

Allie

hehehe it's floating sideways?..

ok..

do you have a spare 1 gallon container anywhere?

I suggest you take a gallon ( 3.5 litres) of the mix out, top up with 2 litres of water and recheck the SG..that gives us an extra 1.5 litres of water that can be added if it's still too high... any excess wine must can be frozen and added to your next batch or simmered down into an F-pac to backsweeten this wine later.. so it won't be wasted. if we can get the SG down to 1.090 or just under, the wine will be a better finished alcohol level.

Allie
Hi, Allie.

Been messing about with it. So I'll tell you where I am right now.

According to the SG tables I have here JKs recipe was for a fairly high alcohol wine anyway. So assuming I should have used a full 20L of water anyway I added another 5 liters. That got me to just under 1.12. Still high. The must is quite opaque lots of solids. I'm wondering if its all sugar, or is some of the SG comming from other stuff in the must.
I do have some extra 4.5l jugs i can use, so could probably house about 25L in secondary.
According to my tables and winecalc 6kg sugar in 20l should have been way less than what I have. Maybe I have sweet bananas:D
I take it the only way to get the SG down is to dilute with water.?.

Bill

Often high alcohol wines are 'fed'.. the sugar goes in, in increments.. if you want a dessert wine.. that's how it is usually done with dessert fruit wines.

If you like a sweeter high alcohol wine, then leave it as it is.. otherwise we are going to have to dilute it down more.. adding an f-pac at the end will bring the flavour back up again..

Allie

Often high alcohol wines are 'fed'.. the sugar goes in, in increments.. if you want a dessert wine.. that's how it is usually done with dessert fruit wines.

If you like a sweeter high alcohol wine, then leave it as it is.. otherwise we are going to have to dilute it down more.. adding an f-pac at the end will bring the flavour back up again..

Allie

By high alcohol I ment high for a fruit wine. 3lbs sugar in 1 usgal would be about 15%-16%.
I'll dilute, pitch the yeast and hope for the best.
Thanks for all your help.
So whats the moral of this story. Check your SG early to see how much sugar you are getting from your fruit.?:e\

Thaks Bill

So whats the moral of this story. Check your SG early to see how much sugar you are getting from your fruit.?:e\

Thaks Bill

LOL!

If we have to turn this into a Disney moment..

I would say that your first fruit wine, taught you everything you needed to know about making fruit wines...

( winks)

(PS>>>please let me know if the yeast survives the sugar!!)

Allie

LOL!

If we have to turn this into a Disney moment..

I would say that your first fruit wine, taught you everything you needed to know about making fruit wines...

( winks)

(PS>>>please let me know if the yeast survives the sugar!!)

Allie

I'm using lavin 118. From what I hear not much stops it.

I've decided to call this one Banana Hooch. I'll save the term wine for my next batch:D

Cheers Bill

Last edited:
Back