Quantcast

Back yard grapes as grape pack?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

kyle5434

Trying to fuse frugal/pragmatic with good results
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I planted some grape vines in the spring of 2016. Unfortunately, that was before I got into winemaking, and I simply chose a couple of varieties from the Stark Brothers catalog. I ended up getting 2 concord and 2 canadice. I know neither one is really considered great for wine, and I'm not sure I'd ever have enough from either variety for a proper batch.

I've read elsewhere on these forums that concord isn't generally recommended for use as a grape pack (although part of me is still tempted to try it on an inexpensive Fontana kit or something). But I was curious about the canadice. Would it be appropriate for crushing and freezing in 5-7 lb. portions to use as a grape pack for non-skin red kits? I wouldn't want to introduce undesirable flavors or aromas to wine made from proper wine grapes, but I'm wondering if it could provide the desired body (and perhaps a bit of aroma) without significantly altering the underlying varietal character of the kit.

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
the intent of a grape packis to add tannin from the skins. ergo why Concord is not desirable. No sure about Candice. I would do some more research and determine if thery have any tannin prospects.