Other back sweetening kit wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendog

Junior
Reaction score
I've started my first kit and finished the first stage of fermenting. I went the 8 days it said to wait and before I transfered my sg was .994 and was supposed to be around 1.010

I'm worried by the time it comes to bottling It will be a very dry wine.. its a niagara mist black cherry wine, I didnt go all out for the first one lol.. it does have a flavour pack to add at the end so hopefully it brings it up to what it shoud be. Being so far below par now though makes me worried.. any ideas?

You will be fine. You can add the F-pack and/or sugar to bring up the sweetness to your liking.

Don't worry - your wine is fine! It sounds like your fermentation is already complete. Keep in mind that instructions for kits are more guidelines than concrete times and numbers. It should be lower than 1.010 before you transfer it to secondary. In the future, you can always monitor the SG to see how the fermentation is progressing. This wine should finish fermenting dry (0.996 or lower according to the instructions). The F-pack really contains most of the flavor for this type of kit (should raise SG to between 1.010-1.020).

Thanks for the input guys. So if I'm at around .996 .994 should I even key it sit for the second fermenting stage or just go straight to the degassing and click clairification process? It isn't going to get any lower really right?

Thank you guys for the quick responses

Thanks for the input guys. So if I'm at around .996 .994 should I even key it sit for the second fermenting stage or just go straight to the degassing and click clairification process? It isn't going to get any lower really right?

Thank you guys for the quick responses

It wouldn't hurt anything to have it sit in secondary for at least a few days before proceeding to stabilization/clarification. Once you measure a consistent SG value over 2-3 days, you can be sure that fermentation is truly finished and proceed from there.

Perfect. I will monitor the sg for 3 or so days and if it doesn't come down anymore I'll continue to the degassing and clarifying process.

thanks for input. Makes me feel better. Excited that it's moving quickly.

Back