WineXpert Australian Cabernet Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with the WE Selection International Australian Cabernet Shiraz. I got this kit locally because I live so far away from George and it is a heavy kit - sorry George! Anyway, the kit comes with two light toast oak and two medium toast oak packs. The instructions aren't very clear about how long to leave it in. You add it at the beginning. After about 5 days you rack off most of the solids to secondary. That left virtually all the oak behind. Is this right, or should some of the oak be left in for secondary. I put the oak residue in a 1.5 liter bottle with airlock until I figure out what to do.

I may just leave the oak out and taste it in a week. If there is enough oak I won't worry. If not I could either add some back in or toast some more native oak. I selected some prime northern NY white oak and stored it away from the logging operation on the wood lot. I made some 1/4 c 1/4" x 6-8" strips. I added one to a Johannisburg Reisling I made last fall and everybody loves it-has a great vanilla floavor.

I'd appreciate any input.

Richard

Hi Richard, and welcome to this forum.

The oak powder and small chips that are added to the primary fermenter are
meant to be left behind at the first racking. Once in the carboy you will
continue fermentation to dryness, then stabilize and degas. After that you
can add oak cubes of your choice if you determine that you would like even
more oak influence. Just keep reusing the cubes at each racking, rinsing
them off. Make sure to monitor the taste frequently (not hard to make
yourself do)
smiley2.gif

bill

I'm going to get some opposing views when i tell you this, On the wine experts editions I've received, I've use the Oak Powder during the Primary fermation, then use the Oak chips for the bulk aging. I like heavy oak taste with my wines. Caution this is not per instruction. If you like heavy oak, I would suggest using the oak cubes for the bulk aging. Call George He will be able to help you with the type oak you are looking for. Just remember, once the oak is in the wine , you can't take it out.

Don't apologize for saving on shipping. I completely understand; however, getting into the growers club will soften the shipping blow.

You should add all of the oak that comes with the kit in the primary; however, you can tweak the kit like Angell has pointed out to get slightly different results. Adding the oak cubes at the end is a great way to add body as well as more oakey flavor.

Thanks for the responses. I will leave the oak out at this point and decide later if I need more or not. I have my own oak and toast it to different stages. One thing I learned early was don't try to microwave the oak to toast it!!!!!!!!
smiley18.gif
I put in a strip to try it and set the timer to 45 seconds to see what happened. 30 seconds later smoke was billowing out the door of the microwave. What a wonderful smell, but it didn't go away for two weeks. It hadn't ignited but was awfully close - DON"T TRY THAT YOURSELF.!!!!!

This looks like it will be a great full bodied kit. It actually turned the primary purple and the stirring spoon and the wine-thief, etc. And the smell- like concord grapes on steroids. Will keep you informed as it progresses.

appleman said:
Thanks for the responses. I will leave the oak out at this point and decide later if I need more or not.

Appleman,

If this oak is the "oak residue" left from the primary fermentation, just toss it out. The powder/chips that come with the WE kits are so small (low ratio of their volume to their surface area) that all of the oaky goodness is leached out in the first three or four days. Adding that to the secondary will add nothing more in the way of oak to your wine.

appleman said:
I have my own oak and toast it to different stages. One thing I learned early was don't try to microwave the oak to toast it!!!!!!!!
smiley18.gif
I put in a strip to try it and set the timer to 45 seconds to see what happened. 30 seconds later smoke was billowing out the door of the microwave. What a wonderful smell, but it didn't go away for two weeks. It hadn't ignited but was awfully close - DON"T TRY THAT YOURSELF.!!!!!

Now this is what I love about this forum! We can learn from others mistakes because they share their experiences! Thanks for the advice. Glad that we didn't hear those words, "Houston. We have ignition."

Well I'm glad everyone else says throw it out. I figured that was what to do, but since they put in so much oak, it's hard to figure why they would leave it in such a short time. I guess it is because it is so small- like sawdust. I hope the secondary ferment doesn't stall, we lost power here with the cold front going through. Had a micro-burst move through and the power was out for two days- temp down to 48 in downstairs where the wine is-lower upstairs. Just got the power back on- whew!
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley17.gif
Good thing, it started getting really cold outside today-high 7 degrees F, wind 25 mph-much colder tonight.

The landscape has changed again almost as bad as when we had the major ice-storm in the late 90's where it looked like an a-bomb had been set off. Then about 2/3 of the trees lost about their top third- power out 9 days that time. This time it was the wind- excess of 100 mph in a narrow band here. Almost all the houses around lost siding and roofing, and it was even worse about 400 feet away from my place. Every standing tree over 5 feet tall blew over, mostly 100 foot tall white pines in a 200 yard wide strip-like a tornado. Followed the trail of destruction for about 1/4 mile down through the farm woodlot-what a mess. There will be enough lumber for a few outbuildings, maybe a barn or two.

Hopefully I can rack off a White Zin tomorrow, should have been done when we first lost power, but couldn't sanitize. One of these days I will post some pictures of some wine and a couple wine racks I made.I've bottled about 500 bottles this year, about half apple wine of various types, a few kits and several batches(mostly 6 gallon) of scratch wines.

hey mister heavy oak I agree once in cant get out. BUt the deal is you like the extra oak taste. Thats what making your own wine is about. If you like a little sweetness added at bottling time add it its your wine if you dont then dont. That is the beauty of this hobby. This group is a great group of folks open to new and different things gadgets and ideas. And I know there are some houses full of bottles both full and empty (empties waiting in the bull pen). And when friends find out your making it the holidays get even better when they ask whats comming for dinner and you ask what their cooking red for the grill and white for the bird in the oven. You even get to know your friends tastes.

Back